We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel equipment rental , boogie boarding and Martinis...

St. Louis,MO
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel equipment rental , boogie boarding and Martinis...

I am leaving for Maui next week and have a few questions.

1) I am hoping to get by with carry on luggage only(yes, I am crazy). I was curious about the quality and hygiene of snorkel rentals. I have images of salt water leaking into my goggles burning my eyes and can't help but wonder if my snorkel mouthpiece was perhaps in recent contact with someone's angry, weepy cold sore. Yes I am neurotic. Purchasing and packing these items may take up valuable and limited space. Can anyone give me some input about the rentals?

2) We are staying in Waliea. Is there some decent boogie boarding near there? I am not so neurotic about renting those ;)

3) Any places stand out which serve up a wicked martini?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
494 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel equipment rental , boogie boarding and Martinis...

I'd always suggest buying your own mask and snorkel. They'll last a few years, and you can adjust the mask to fit your face beforehand, and know the snorkel you're putting into your mouth.

Fins, boards you can rent, or buy a noodle when you get there.

If you are short of time, you can always buy when you get to Maui. There are many diving/snorkeling shops there.

Enjoy your trip.

West Fargo N.D.
Level Contributor
212 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel equipment rental , boogie boarding and Martinis...

We just returned from Maui and rented gear for my wife and i for a week for 67.00 which included an afternoon snorkel trip on there boat. The gear was decent and seemed clean. They also have boogie boards for 15.00 for the week. Hope this helps

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel equipment rental , boogie boarding and Martinis...

Kaikane owns his own gear cuz he spearfishes and dives, but truth be told, the few times a year I snorkel I rent. I can rent nicer gear than I am willing to buy.

Boogie boarding: from Oneloa (Big Beach) to Kam II can be good depending on the conditions each day.

Neptunes Martini Lounge in Kalama Village or Botero Bar at the Grand Wailea. Also, Roys Kihei for Smitty's famous Passion-tini. Ryan at same Roy's makes a mean chocolatini.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel equipment rental , boogie boarding and Martinis...

Check out rentals at Snorkel Bob's or Maui Dive Shop. You can always wash the snorkel in your sink or tub.

If the mask leaks or it does not work, either place will let you change it for something else. If you snorkel every year, then I would say buy.

St. Louis,MO
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel equipment rental , boogie boarding and Martinis...

Thanks to everyone who took the time to repond to my post. I think I will check out the rentals first(alcohol swabs in hand) and see how that works out. I can always buy the equipment if the rentals don't work out. The Chocolotini will be my motivation to survive the long flight out there.