We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glass bottom / snorkel

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Glass bottom / snorkel

Browsed for about a week - somewhat of a last minute trip - arriving Sun Dec 12 for 7 days. Anyone else? First two nights at Hale Ho'okipa and the rest of the time at Westin Kaanapali. Plan to do the Halkela and Hana that Mon / Tue as we return to Kaanapali. The main question is - is there a snorkeling tour with a glass bottom boat other than Four Winds? The only reason I am not thinking Four Winds is that it does not go to the Turtle area. I want to snorkel but my wife does not swim (nor does she want to get in the water) - thus the glass bottom. Any comments on Four Winds and finally if we were to take the afternoon trip and not make it to Molakani and end up at the coral garden (due to the wind) is it still okay? Or is there a big difference and is Molakani the place to go.

Thanks a lot - mahalo

Mentioned in this post
Hale Ho'okipa Inn Makawao
Hale Ho'okipa Inn Makawao
173 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,522 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,057 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glass bottom / snorkel

As far as I know this will be the only option on Maui for a glass bottom boat. And I would imagine the reason they do not go to the turtle area is that they stuff 2 different trips into this boat this time of year. And one thing to think about is this is 149 passenger boat. They do limit it to 120 but that's still a lot of people both on the boat and in the water. Too many for our tastes so I can't give you a boat review. But I would imagine if the whales were around the whale trip in the afternoon could be quite unique with the glass bottom.

Edited: 1:00 pm, November 27, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,264 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glass bottom / snorkel

Take your wife to the Maui Ocean Center. She will see all of Maui's fish without having to step into the water or a boat. The reason why Molokini is well thought of is the clarity of the water. Nice boat ride. If you aren't able to make it to Molokini (which is rare no matter what time of year), and go to the coral gardens you will see the same things, the water just isn't as clear. You might also want to take your wife up to Napili Bay, she has a more than fair chance of seeing turtles without getting into the water. I never take the afternoon snorkel trips. Chances of choppy seas just take the fun out of snorkeling as it isn't great for visibility either. If you do take a snorkel cruise to get what you pay for go in the morning.

Mentioned in this post
Maui Ocean Center
Maui Ocean Center
4,093 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Napili Bay
The Napili Bay
501 Reviews
Maui, HI
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glass bottom / snorkel

Thanks all - decided on the morning tour with Four Winds. It is a lot of ppl but the glass bottom is what did it. We will go to Napili and the Ocean Center. Got the tips from momma too as to the things to bring. Hoping to use the 'kitchen' in the villa and save some money. Pretty much have the week planned with two days of nothing - so either beach or just driving - maybe winery, lavender farm etc.

BTW msfuzz - congrats on 7,000+. I was quite impressed at myself when I hit 1,000. 7,000 is such a looooong way from 1,000.

Less than 2 weeks.

Mentioned in this post
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,391 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui Ocean Center
Maui Ocean Center
4,093 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,264 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glass bottom / snorkel

Well, thank you Kingwood. It's loving Maui and Hawaii in general that drives me to share with everyone!!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
5. Re: Glass bottom / snorkel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 29, 2011