We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana

Calgary
Level Contributor
696 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Hana

We are planning to do the road to Hana on our up coming trip to Maui. I have the Maui Revealed book and read the section on this trip but am unsure of which are the best stops and sites. So, could those of you who have done the trip let me know which were your favourites.

Thanks

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Hana

Truthfully...the best stop entertainment wise was at the Island Grown Market (last place to get a picnic type lunch before the road really starts). The lady inthe store will chat your ears off and as a bonus, you can rent a dog from her to take with you!!

We did not go by the book, don't even own one, we just drove along and if some spot came up that looked interesting we stopped...

Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
445 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Hana

Snowcat....there are lots of great places to see....most off the beaten path. Be sure to leave yourself a lot of time (leave early and plan for all day) so you don't feel rushed. If you put Hana in the search bar above, you will find many posts relating to this that would give you some great ideas! Have a great time!

alberta , canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Hana

Snowcat,

We just got back from Maui and took the Maui Revealed book with us to do the road to Hana. We found that many of the stops were different from what was described in the book. Especially the ones to do with waterfalls. As the book mentions it really does depend on the amount of precipitation.

Three stops that I will mention because they were memorable are:

Mile marker 17 - Halfway to Hana- The banana bread is fantastic. Bought three loaves and wished I'd bought more!!!

Nahiku- an amazing shoreline view breathtaking! Also, little unmanned huts selling baked goods, necklaces , flowers all sold on the honor system. I would recommend buying a bouguet of flowers there for only 5$

The bouquets were beautiful, better then any we saw at the farmers markets and swap meets and 1/3 the price!!!

Wai'anapanapa Black Sand Beach- really beautiful cove with black sand, caves and view!

I'm sure that there is tons more but we took 8 hours to do just this much of the road and found it to be amazing. Allow lots of time and have fun. By the way, we had a two year old with us and found the waterfalls are not doable toting along a little one!Too slippery and too hard to get too!

St. Stephen, SC
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Hana

My favorite stop was the venus pool. The water is breathtakingly clear and deep. I was terrified to jump in, but what a thrill when I finally did! It is a magical place if you can find it. We had some trouble with directions.

Black sand beach was very unusual and worth a stop.

Hamoa beach was the most beautiful beach we found and I would recommend spending some time there. We just stopped for a little while because it was getting late.

Nahiku is worth the deture if you have time.

I thought some of the waterfalls were a waste of time. Too much hiking for so-so scenery.

The trip all the way around took us 12 hours and I would recommend spending the night so you are not rushed like we were.