We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Buying' snorkel equipment? What's a good brand?

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
'Buying' snorkel equipment? What's a good brand?

I have bought multiple snorkel/mask sets, some of which were not inexpensive, but they still aren't comfortable. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I want a mask that will not leak and a good snorkel that will not allow water in. Going to Maui for Christmas and want to be able to snorkel without constantly trying to adjust/clear the mask and snorkel.

Many thanks!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,510 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Buying' snorkel equipment? What's a good brand?

Have you bought from a good dive shop who can help fit you properly? The best brand is the one that fits. It took me about 5 masks to find one that really worked for me, and it was the cheapest of all of them.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Buying' snorkel equipment? What's a good brand?

I agree totally with pzp. Go to a dive shop and find one that fits best. The way I was shown to check was to press it against my face without the strap on. Make sure not to let any air out through your nose. If it stays in place without slowly losing seal you have a good candidate. You'll probably find a few that will work good then you decide which features you like from those whether one has a better field of view or more comfortable skirt.

As for snorkels first off make sure it's a "dry" snorkel. Though no snorkels are immune from water a dry snorkel cuts down the amount of water you get in it significantly. Make sure it has a good size purge valve also. We've had our Ocean Master for 6 years now and are pretty happy with them.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
335 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Buying' snorkel equipment? What's a good brand?

This is all great advice! I'm a certified Rescue Diver and a dive shop will fit you right and save future aggravation with leaky masks ;0)

I also agree that Ocean Master is a superb mask.......which is what I have used for over 10 years and the mask is like new. Be sure to buy silicone spray at the dive shop to keep the mask like new. Wd40 and most silicone sprays will not work which is why you need to buy it at the shop.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,350 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Buying' snorkel equipment? What's a good brand?

While on Maui, I bought all my snorkel equipment at a dive shop called Maui Dreams. It's in Kihei. Very knowledgable staff will help you pick out a mask that was made for you!! Same with the snorkel. They will spend as much time with you that you will need for a good fit. I don't know what brand mine is, I'll have to go check it out!! There are other good dive shops on Maui, but I prefer to go where I know I can find the best service and quality.

Livermore...
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Buying' snorkel equipment? What's a good brand?

Years ago I picked up a mask at a Wal Mart in Maui and we just went to the Big Island last month. Renting from Mr. Bob can really ad up so I invested in a setup for DW and I. Picked up a snorkel for me @ $12 and a mask/snorkel set for DW @ $30. The brand is Oceanways and here in California we have a chain called Big 5 Sporting Goods. They sell closeout, name brand gear at good prices.

We have normal-shaped faces, I suppose, so they fit without a problem once adjusted properly. The snorkels had the wave break things on the top and I think they worked. The night snorkel with the mantas had some good-sized swells and no water made it down the tube.

Others have recommended Leisure Pro so you could check that out.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Buying' snorkel equipment? What's a good brand?

I agree with the previous posters on going to a dive shop and getting help with a fitting. We've had very good luck with Maui Dive Shop, both the big store in Lahaina (across from the Cannery Mall) and the outlet in Kihei. Large selection and helpful staff. As much as I love shopping for a bargain, a mask is really something you need to try on, before buying.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,510 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Buying' snorkel equipment? What's a good brand?

jd, you lucked out on the fit of the Walmart masks. Hit or miss. A miss will make for a miserable snorkeling experience.

Livermore...
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Buying' snorkel equipment? What's a good brand?

So true on the fit. I'd had my mask for a while and it had worked in the past. Glad DW"s worked out well. Getting one locally vs. online would've made for an easier exchange if that was necessary.

One thing I did miss from Snorkel Bob is the anti-fog. It is probably a simple receipe but one day I really could've used a dab of that goo.

Sunny California
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 'Buying' snorkel equipment? What's a good brand?

I bought a $30 Body Glove set at Sports Authority. No leaks and not much fogging... perfect for us recreational users. Used it for a week out in the Caribbean and never had any problems with any of the equipment

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,350 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 'Buying' snorkel equipment? What's a good brand?

jdbronco, I know people who use baby shampoo all the time. I was going to try it but found out it's a lot cheaper just to use the goo from Snorkel Bob's. Price of living in paradise I guess!!