We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lana'i day trip

Corona, CA
Level Contributor
135 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lana'i day trip

My husband and I are Maui bound in June. We are thinking of taking a day trip to Lana'i on either Trilogy or Paragon. Has anyone ever taken this trip with either company? Any help would be greatly appreciated since this is the only aspect of the trip I am stuck on.

Washington
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lana'i day trip

I am also looking for this type of info. My sisiters and I are wanting to do something besides snokeling and sitting by the pool. No Kids means we are free to explore with out someone saying " are we there yet?" " I'm bored!" " What are we going to do now?" or " I'm hungry"

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lana'i day trip

We went with Trilogy and I was not as impressed as I'd hoped to be. The food was okay. The staff was pleasant but not over-the-top helpful. In particular, they didn't offer much/any assistance with equipment or instruction during the snorkeling part. The surf was also rough, which wasn't anyone's fault. We took the van tour around the island - saw mostly fallow fields.

HIghlights were seeing that neat "lover's leap" rock in the ocean and the sailing part back (pretty wild ride).

I guess what bothered me the most was that I had told them my daughter was celebrating her 8th birthday with this cruise. They said they would do something special for and yet didn't even mention it or say "happy birthday" when we went. There was only one other child on the cruise despite it being summer - so that part my be in the poster's favor.

Generally this company gets great reviews. The experience wasn't awful by any means but I would not repeat it...

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,609 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lana'i day trip

Love Trilogy -- I've done the Lanai trip twice and it's been great. They have nice boats, great crews, and good food, too. Everyone I've been with has loved it, as well. Both times I've done their sunset sail (leaves at 10 a.m., returns at sunset). You leave at 10, have their famous cinnamon rolls on the way over, and sandwiches and drinks when you arrive (or just before). There is an optional van tour led by some local women while you are on the island (which is quite interesting if you want to see a bit of Lanai) ... otherwise, they have snorkel equipment, beach chairs, mats, volleyball, etc. and you can just hang around the beach, snorkel, be lazy, etc. After a few hours, you go back to a pavilion near the harbor and have dinner -- or a meal, anyway -- and their food is GREAT ... bbq chicken, noodles, fruit, veggies ... very good and TONS of food. You then sail back and sunset and have dessert on board. I really don't think you'll be disappointed with Trilogy.

Having said that, people have good things to say about paragon, too -- check these boards -- and I think I'll try them next time just for comparisons sake. They are a bit cheaper than Trilogy.

Corona, CA
Level Contributor
135 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lana'i day trip

Sunshine and Konagirl, thanks for your replies. They were both very helpful. I am leaning toward the Trilogy trip since we figure if we are going to Lana'i we might as well see Lana'i. It doesn't appear that Paragon offers a tour of the island.