We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phones

MN
10 posts
Save Topic
cell phones

hi all, my husband and i actually are two of the last people on earth to not own cell phones, but we're headed over for a three island trip involving a family reunion, and are thinking one may come in handy to coordinate with all the other fellow travelers/ family members. does anyone know if those pay as you go phones work there? i've heard people talk about verizon and sprint, but we still don't really want to go all out and get a plan etc. please excuse any cluelessness, our friends tease us about being "amish". (no offense to the amish) (ps--- we have 5 mi range walkies..)

--sue (MN)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phones

Well, you'll spend a hundred bucks on the phone -- but many of the pay-as-you-go phones operate off of the same networks as regular cell phones, so they should work.

For example, Virgin Mobile (virginmobileusa.com, same company as Virgin Atlantic Airways) says they have coverage on most of Oahu, in central/West maui, and in the most travelled part of the Big Island (west & the Hilo area.)

Verizon has a couple of no-contract options and they have pretty good coverage in most of Hawaii (I've been able to use my verizon phone on Maui, Kauai, Big Island and Oahu with no problem, except for in some remote areas). Some of the "pay as you go" plans charge you $1 or so a day for access, and this comes out of your deposit, so that's something to remember.

Have a great time!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,508 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phones

Depends on where you are. Most of the road to Hana has no service. We finally got service at Hana Ranch, but I suspect it was coming from the Big Island.

I think we have service pretty much all over Kaua'i.

Redding, California
Level Contributor
210 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phones

I would get the cell phone, make sure what ever you do, get a nation wide plan, this is very important. My first trip to maui I would make two short phone a day and I came home to a 500.00 phone bill from verizon.

MN
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phones

thanks for the input konagirl and pzp, and atticus--yikes! yes i'll be sure there is no roaming and it's nationwide. still deciding what to do, but even paying $80 or so for A phone, even $100 and doing pay as you go is less thatn a plan costing $40 a month ($480 a year!!) thanks very much, any other advice/ experiences welcomed.

--sue

st. paul
Level Contributor
168 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phones

We stayed in South Maui and were able to use our Sprint phones with no extra charges. If I remember correctly the only place on the island that we couldnt get service was the road to Hana.