We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wailiea or Kaanapali Area for Nightlife

mt. laurel
Level Contributor
122 posts
19 reviews
Wailiea or Kaanapali Area for Nightlife

My fiancee and I are going to spend the last 6 days of our honeymoon in Maui. The first 6 will be on the quieter island of Kauai. We love to be able to walk to dinner and nightlife, but are not sure what the areas are like. If we stay in Wailea, we will be at the 4 seasons, and if we stay in Kaanapali, we will be at the Hyatt or Westin. What do you recommend for 2 honeymooners who want to be "where it's at?"

Thanks!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
1. Re: Wailiea or Kaanapali Area for Nightlife

If you want to walk to dinner and nightlife and be "where it's at" Kaanapali is the better choice by far. The Westin is right next to Whalers Village with its open air shopping centre, restaurants and bars. The Hyatt is about a one mile (15 minute) walk to Whalers Village. The beach is also better in front on the Westin than in front of the Hyatt.

2. Re: Wailiea or Kaanapali Area for Nightlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, December 26, 2005
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
3. Re: Wailiea or Kaanapali Area for Nightlife

DON'T MESS WITH THE KING.

It might be 2500 feet between the BOUNDARY of the Hyatt and the BOUNDARY of the whalers village property but most people don't start out at the property boundary, and when they reach the other property they prefer to actually go on the property and not just to the boundary.

I have never actually measured the distance exactly but I have run it hundreds of times. It takes me eight minutes (give or take 10 seconds) to run from the entrance to Whalers Village (in front of the Rusty Harpoon)to the END of the Hyatt property. Either this distance is very very close to one mile or I run only half as fast as every other mile that I run elsewhere. And all the thousands of other runners who run this course thinking it is ONE MIle also mysteriously run at half speed on this course.

You agree that it is fifteen minute walk but only a half mile distance. Nobody, not even the slowest walker takes 15 minutes to walk a half mile.

Bud is still the King !!

4. Re: Wailiea or Kaanapali Area for Nightlife

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, December 26, 2005
5. Re: Wailiea or Kaanapali Area for Nightlife

Removed on: 6:17 pm, December 26, 2005
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
6. Re: Wailiea or Kaanapali Area for Nightlife

Depends on how you define "it," Clash. I'm wondering by your handle if you're looking for nightlife that is bit more rocking than the usual tourist fare. If by nightlife you mean a guy and his guitar playing 70's era acoustic stuff, den plenny dat in Ka`anapali.

mt. laurel
Level Contributor
122 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Wailiea or Kaanapali Area for Nightlife

We just want to be able to walk or get an inexpensive cab ride to great restaurants, shops, and nightlife. I'm not quite the rocker that I was in my younger days, just looking for an area with fun things to do off the resort. Thanks!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
8. Re: Wailiea or Kaanapali Area for Nightlife

"It is EXACTLY 3,400 feet along the promenade from the pool of the Hyatt Regency Maui to the entrance to Whaler's Village. I'll be happy to email you a copy if you like."

Hey Amberloo, from your first post to the second you have added 900 feet which is getting closer to the truth. It appears that you have conceded that people don't walk just from boundary to boundary (as per your first ill fated attempt to quantify this walking distance). Now add the extra distance because the path has curves in it, plus the extra distance to the END of the Hyatt property and it is just about exactly one mile (5,280 feet). You may measure distance in a straight line but I think people who actually walk the distance tend to follow the curves of the path. And the actual walking distance is what is of interest here.

But what would an uneducated person like me know? Why don't you tell us all about your educational qualifications and your involvement in "having appraised all of the holdings between the two locations." I would love to hear all about it.

9. Re: Wailiea or Kaanapali Area for Nightlife

Removed on: 6:18 pm, December 26, 2005
mt. laurel
Level Contributor
122 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: Wailiea or Kaanapali Area for Nightlife

Guys, I don't mean to be rude, but can you take your discussion to someone else's topic? I am really interested in getting responses to my post on which area of Maui to stay. Thanks in advance for your cooperation : )