We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire - Convertible

Hertfordshire
9 posts
Car Hire - Convertible

Hi

We are coming to Maui for 9 days from the 14th August and was thinking of hiring a convertible. As this is part of our honeymoon we will have quite a lot of luggage with us.

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice about:

1)Is it worth having a convertible car in Maui?

2)Could we fit 2 big suitcases as well as some hand luggage into the car baring in mind there will just be 2 of us?

3)Which car hire firms are the best to use or is there not much difference between the "big" firms?

Thanks very much for any help you can give us

Rob

Snohomish...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,129 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Car Hire - Convertible

We've had great luck with this company http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/

but do get your reservation in ASAP. As to the convertible they are great fun but keep in mind the sunburn you may get. With the top down you will end up with suitcases in the back seat but that's OK for the drive to your hotel.

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: Car Hire - Convertible

I agree - maybe one suitcase will fit in the trunk with the top down. We recently rented a Mustang convertible in LA and had to put the second suitcase and carryon luggage in the back seat on the way to the hotel. Should be fine with just two people and if you just drive straight to the hotel to drop the luggage off.

California
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Car Hire - Convertible

As sexy as convertibles may seem, they are not for everyone or every situation. The trunks range from very small to teeny. So, yes, you could throw things in the back seat, but you couldn't/shouldn't leave the car with them back there.

There is also the issue of cost, sunburn/windburn ... and I just can't see out of them. I don't think they are practical.

We rent our cars from Hertz. Sometimes Budget.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,295 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Car Hire - Convertible

suggest you try budget or thrifty --- they are usually cheaper then hertz or avis

Modesto
Level Contributor
460 posts
5. Re: Car Hire - Convertible

With just the two of you, it should fit. I owned one for several years, and it is amazing what you can fit into a Mustang when you need to!!

As said, you will probably have to put the top down just to get the larger suitcases into the backseat, but it's only for transporting. Have fun!

California
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Car Hire - Convertible

Rob -- try to go eye-ball a few of them before you reserve a convertible. Take a good look, and then see what you think.

7. Re: Car Hire - Convertible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, January 12, 2011