We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in Maui

Pa.
3 posts
Save Topic
Best place to stay in Maui

Hey all! I do hope someone out there can help my husband and me with this one. Where is the best place to stay in Maui. We don't have a budget because its our 15th anniversary so we don't mind it being a little pricey and we do intend on renting a car so getting around won't be a problem either. I just want this to be an awesome vacation for the two of us.

I'd love to be right on the beach though. I'd really prefer not to have to travel to do at least that. I've read so many books and brochures that I am sooo confused right now. They all look great but I need some real input from people who have experienced this for themselves.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in Maui

Best based on what criteria? Maui is crawling with great places but they don't all have golf courses, or sandy beaches. Some are luxurious and some are intimate. What is important to you? You mentioned the beach but note that oceanfront does not mean sand beach. And beachfront 15 stories up may not give you what you want. 15th anniversary so I'm guessing you're not bringing kids - another factor, maybe you don't want kid friendly places. Do you want to snorkel every day? Walk to a restauant? Study Hawaiian history? You're going to have to give us a few clues or all you will get is everyone's opinion of "best" and you won't agree with them all. If there was a place that everyone agreed was best you and I could not afford it.

Pa.
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in Maui

Sorry I wasn't more specific. No we are not bring our children with us this go round. We do love sandy beaches and hope to be oceanfront. I realize that ocean front and ocean view are two entirely different things but we want to take in all Maui has to offer. We do plan on doing several activities including helicopter rides, snorkling, a luau, and we are open for suggestions once we get there. But as far as a place to stay we just want something nice and worth the money. And definately something with a breaktaking view.

My husband is also pretty picky when it comes to food. So it will have to be someplace that has or around a variety of food choices.

Other than that we are really open to all suggestions and why its your favorite.

Hope that helps a little more and thanks again for trying to help me better.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay in Maui

Personally we like Napili Shores because you practically get wet in the ocean front rooms and because it is a condo and very quiet (other than the ocean), has two nice restaurants on the property and we like to walk from our room and snorkel once or twice a day. On our trip next year we can't stay there because we need a 2 BR. You used the word pricey so you might want a more upscale place. Just up from Napili is Kapalua with a Ritz and Kapalua Bay Hotel. Do you want to be in the center of the action (Kaanapali) or remote. High rise or low? We stay north of Kaanapali but make a couple of trips to Whalers Village and the Hula Grill, but again its what's important to you that makes the difference. By the way we've never been to south Maui (Wailea area) so someone else would have to tell you about that. As for a luau, trust me on this, "The Old Lahaina Luau"-period. Book early-No, book NOW. You won't find any discounts, I guess they don't have to give them to fill up every night. And don't confuse it with the Royal Lahaina Luau. By the way, when are you going?

florida
Level Contributor
660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay in Maui

I've only been to Maui once and stayed at the Grand Wailea. It is absolutely wonderful. It has a very nice beach and an awesome pool. It was everything we had ever imagined Hawaii being. It is pricey, but definitely worth it.

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay in Maui

Are you looking to stay in a condo or a resort? If it is a hotel or resort that you are looking for I would highly recommend the Westin or the Hyatt in Kaanapali. Since this is your 1st trip to Maui I recommend staying in Kaanapali because it puts you close to Lahaina where the main sightseeing and shopping is located. If it is a condo you are looking for I hear the Whaler is terrific, especially for couples. It you prefer quiet and not a lot of activity then you may want to stay in the Wailea area. Kaanapali and Lahaina are where all the attractions, shopping, sightseeing are and there are a lot of activities to keep you busy. I will let you know that in Maui you can stay just about anywhere and not be disappointed.

Chicago
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay in Maui

Hey Kids,

I'm in the same situation as Beachnut, except that It's our 25th anniversary. I have already booked 10 nights in January 05 at the Maui Embassy Suites Resort, but continue to read bad reviews about it. I really don't want my first (or any) trip to Hawaii to be lousy. Any suggestions?!?!?!

Thanks,

Cranky.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay in Maui

Have only stayed in Kaanapali (5 times) but visited Wailea.

We love the Hyatt but have only stayed there during the off season. Wailea is spread out and seemed very luxuries but it was not our style. Too laid back and far from things we wanted to do. Ulua Beach is great for snorkeling though!

Hawesville, KY
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay in Maui

I have been to Maui a few times and have stayed in both a hotel setting and a condo. Since it will be just the 2 of you and you have a few extra $$, I would stay in a hotel on Kaanapali Beach. Two places that I would suggest are the Aston Kaanapali or the Marriott. The Marriott has WONDERFUL pools and private pool cabanas and is situated right on the beach. It's close enough to Whaler's Village to walk, and Whaler's Village has marvelous shopping (like Tiffany's) and restaurants. We even shopped in our swimsuits! Also, Kaanapali is close to Lahaina with great night-life and restaurants. Also, if going in January - April, don't forget about the whales. Be sure to take a helicopter tour before you leave. The one we took even did a video during our tour so we had a great keepsake afterwards.

toledo,oh
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay in Maui

I wanted to tap into this conversation. I just booked with a B&B called What a Wonderful world. It is about a mile north of Wailea in Kihei. I am going to Maui for the first time. My husband lived there for 3 years when he was a kid and can't wait to take me to all the pleaces he went before. We don't have a ton of money to spend but I did want the trip to be a nice one for us- since it's our first vacation by ourselves since our honeymoon! Does anyone know anything about this place or about Kihei and the snorkeling ( since my husband says that is what he did 24/7 when he lived there!) around the area.

Thanks a bunch,

Reno, Nevada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay in Maui

Don't stay at the Aston Kaanapali Shores. We stayed there in June '03 and were very disapointed. It wasn't even on Kaanapali Beach but north a couple of miles. Plus the room was very run down. We stayed at the Whaler for our Honeymoon 11 1/2 years ago and loved it and the location. Not sure what it's like today. If you do decide to stay in Kaanapali, make sure it's really in Kaanapali. Have fun!