We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iao Valley and Haleakala

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
441 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Iao Valley and Haleakala

Are these two in relative close distance at all?

We have decided to not get up for the sunrise at Haleakala, just too early for us on vacation, so do you think we should just go a little later in the morning or should we wait to try to catch a sunset?

Thanks for any advice!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iao Valley and Haleakala

Our sunset drive to the summit was one of our favorite experiences on our trip this last September. We left in the afternoon, taking a picnic with us and stopped along the way following the Big Island Revealed travel book. It tells you about short hikes and interesting things to notice. We took lots of pictures of the sunset. Beware it is very cold and the wind blows rather strongly so be sure and dress accordingly. We ended up eating our picnic in the car with the heater on. The road is easy to drive even after dark. There are the occasional cow that wonders onto the road so watch out for them. Have fun!!

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
841 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iao Valley and Haleakala

Haleakala anytime is great. We usually go during the time there's too much direct UV for us pale people to be at the pool and beach - say about 11 am or so. As you ascend through Kula, the air will get cooler and you'll begin to smell the eucalyptus. There will be great views of the coast line separating west and south Maui. Personally, I like to drive UP and DOWN in the daylight because I love the journey so much.

Iao Vally will not be difficult to visit the same afternoon. Both of these are magical places and two of my favorite on Maui.