We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why can't I find directions to Jaws?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
173 posts
Why can't I find directions to Jaws?

I heard Jaws has big waves right now (of course that could change by the time I get there in a few days). My husband and I are both surfers here in LA and while we obviously don't want to surf Jaws, we really want to watch the surfers on the huge waves out there. I have googled directions to Jaws but can't seem to find anything other than that it's 3 miles north of Paia through a pineapple field. Can anyone give more specific directions? I heard there was a cliff where you can watch the waves but I'm not sure where that is. Thanks.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
22 reviews
48 helpful votes
1. Re: Why can't I find directions to Jaws?

Dixie Past the Haiku Community Center is the road down to Jaws.

Mind you, the road is not always open to cars and if you are a timid driver, I suggest you dont drive it.

Alot of people walk down from Hana Highway, (I went today and drove down in my truck)

On the Right side of the Hana Highway when driving towards Hana direction, you will see an old Boat and thee you can get Jaws Info.

Waves are to die down until Saturday.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
173 posts
2. Re: Why can't I find directions to Jaws?

So is it the first road after the Community Center? My husband is not a timid driver but we'll have a convertible and don't want to get stuck if it's a muddy road or something... I guess we can assess the road when we get there! I'll check surfline.com first to see if the waves are worth going out there for.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
75 reviews
28 helpful votes
3. Re: Why can't I find directions to Jaws?

The surf is dying down. It was at it's peak Monday, yesterday everyone agreed it was less than Monday's.

You still have to remember that access is completely through private property once you leave the Hana hwy.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
34 helpful votes
4. Re: Why can't I find directions to Jaws?

I haven't been in quite awhile (last time I tried, there was a burned-out car in the middle of the path) and don't know if this will help as far as getting there (or deciding not to), but the zoom feature on this map might add perspective (Peahi Point is "A"):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=peahi+jaws&sll=20.883032,-156.29837&sspn=0.21235,0.445976&ie=UTF8&ll=20.887041,-156.29837&spn=0.81729,1.783905&z=10

Maui
7 posts
5. Re: Why can't I find directions to Jaws?

Directions and great map = GPS data here: http://mauiguidebook.com/adventures/jaws/

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
102 reviews
475 helpful votes
6. Re: Why can't I find directions to Jaws?

All of the car wrecks and junk was removed by ML&P and community volunteers. Hopefully, it won't fill up with junk again. FYI, the land is owned by A&B.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
34 helpful votes
7. Re: Why can't I find directions to Jaws?

Thanks very much for that Maui Guidebook link AlohaAina; spent about 20 minutes with it this morning and it's Great!

Wish I had known about the improvements a month ago Yamanote; drove right by & Wife asked if we should stop, but I voted a lazy nope...just added to our "things to do in 2011" bookmark.

8. Re: Why can't I find directions to Jaws?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 13, 2010