We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Snorkle with bad injured shoulder?

Central Montana
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Snorkle with bad injured shoulder?

My husband and I are traveling to Maui in 2 weeks for the first time to celebrate our 30th anniversary. Unfortunately, he's recently torn his shoulder rotator cuff and has been told by the doctor he can postpone the surgery until after the trip but can't swim because he can't raise his arm/shoulder more than a few inches. We chose Maui because we are both former lifeguards, love to swim, and were interested in snorkeling more than anything else. Any suggestions on how maybe he might be able to do some snorkeling close to shore under these circumstances would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Greeley, CO
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Snorkle with bad injured shoulder?

I think he'll be just fine.

When I snorkel, my arms are generally at my side or slightly out, but for the most part, my legs do most of the work. Now,he my not be able t dive down, but he should be able to have a great time on the surface.....

Have fune...

Gilbert
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Snorkle with bad injured shoulder?

I agree - you are so bouyant in the salt water you just float naturally, and with fins on your feet, you don't need your arms much for swimming or navigating - your legs do most of the work. I usually have my arms at my sides as well, unless I'm taking a photo.

Just be sure the water is calm - the only time I really need my arms is when I've been in a strong current and need them to help navigate (this past July a wave almost pushed me up on top of a reef I was exploring - that would've been a bummer! ouch...)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Snorkle with bad injured shoulder?

Snorkeling from shore in calm water should be o.k., just avoid any boat trips since climbing the ladder may be a problem.

Black Rock at the north end of Ka'anapali Baech is great place to go with lots of fish, a great chance of finding turtles, and a fair amount of company in case you need any help.

I had the mis-fortune of breaking my shoulder on Maui a few years back, but still had a great time (other than flinging my food when I tried to eat with my left hand!). Just take it easy and listen to what your body tells you.