We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

both Renaissances in Maui will be closed... so which...

East Hampton, NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Topic
both Renaissances in Maui will be closed... so which...

Okay so i've been checking into all 4 of the Marriotts in Maui for my honeymoon next october 2006. Well it turns out that both of the Renaissances (kapalua renaissance & Renaissance Wailea Beach) will be closed by then. So that leaves... the Marriott Beach Ocean Club (in Lahaina) and the Wailea Marriott.

So which one is better? I can't decide. The Marriott Ocean Club will have construction going on during the time i'd be there (from 8am-5pm and some weekends). The Wailea Marriott will have finished all their renovations of their rooms and construction (they're putting in a pool, new restaurant, etc).

I want to pick the Wailea Marriott because i really don't want our relaxing time in Maui to be ruined by construction. But my fiance isn't sure because he thinks the Marriott Ocean Club looks nicer.

Can anyone help me out... what are the pro's and con's of the 2 remaining Marriotts?

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: both Renaissances in Maui will be closed... so which...

Thanks for your apology!

Danville, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: both Renaissances in Maui will be closed... so which...

You deserve it. I guess I must have been in a less than perfect mood last night. I'm embarassed.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: both Renaissances in Maui will be closed... so which...

Aliwnec10,

On that Marriotthawaii.com website you can click on renovation update toward the bottom of the Wailea Marriott page and a couple more pictures come up. That pool, that room. I'm sure you already saw them but make sure you show your fiance.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
532 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: both Renaissances in Maui will be closed... so which...

I just checked out those photos on the Marriott website too - WOW what and improvement! Those pictures look nicer than the pool and rooms at the Four Seasons. My husband and I are now rethinking the Ritz and definetly considering a stay at the Marriott Wailea. I checked availability for points next fall (Oct. 2006) and it shows that 5 nights would take 165,000 points minimum (garden view) to 180,000 + cash upgrade for oceanfront- when we checked the Ritz Kapalua 5 nights was 150,000. Does anyone know if they've increased the points due to the renovation or if it's just due to the time of the year? Not real sure how the whole points thing works we just started doing them this past year.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: both Renaissances in Maui will be closed... so which...

Gosh I don't know. We are using points and staying 9 nights (7 nights is 130,000 points plus 2 nights is 55,000 total of 185,000) garden view. I don't know what the renovations will be like when we go but I did make sure to ask for a renovated room. I hope we get it. For Oct 2006 is that Stay anytime? If so they charge a 50% premium in points . That may mean they have sold out of all the regular rewards and now the only way to stay with points is for them to do the Stay Anytime. Seems like a lot though. If they are still considered a category 6 hotel they should only charge you 130,000 for 7 nights in a quality room plus whatever you decide to upgrade. Maybe by Oct 2006 they will be considered a category 7 and thus the increase in points to stay.

We used our points at the Ritz Kapalua in March 2005 and only had to pay 145,000 because that particular Ritz property was offering Point Saver. It was such a good deal. Although I think because so many people took advantage of it in Spring 2005, they may decide not to repeat in Spring 2006. Make sure you check the Marriott Rewards under partner hotel rewards and click on Point Saver. They are supposed to update it for 2006 in late November.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: both Renaissances in Maui will be closed... so which...

I tried to do a Rewards reservation from Oct. 7-Oct 14 2006 and they did have a 130,000 point quality room available. I'm not sure what your dates are though. Let me know if you have any questions.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: both Renaissances in Maui will be closed... so which...

It looks like they might be offering you a stay anytime reward instead of a standard reward for the property. As they say on the Marriott website:

"Marriott reserves only a certain number of rooms for reward redemptions. However, for just 50% more points, Stay Anytime rewards allow you to override blackout dates and other restrictions to get the room you want."

You might want to check back again to see if a regular reward exists. While the website says it is a category 6 (and was when I was there in August 2004), they might be bumping it up by the time you travel to category 7 if the rebranding as JW happens after the renovations.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
532 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: both Renaissances in Maui will be closed... so which...

Thanks for the info! How far in advance do you usually book a rewards stay?

Danville, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: both Renaissances in Maui will be closed... so which...

I book as soon as I possibly can. And now that it is electronic redemption it much easier to switch days if your schedule changes. If you haven't accumulated the points yet you can always just say you have a paper certificate on internet reservations and then when you have accumulated the total amount of points just call Marriott Rewards directly and they will take the points out of your account electronically. Might as well book early.