We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback Riding, Snorkeling Tours

Woodinville...
1 post
Save Topic
Horseback Riding, Snorkeling Tours

Would appreciate any input into these two activities from anyone who has any suggestions. Will be in Maui Jan. 28 thru Feb 8.

Maui Tours and Transportation
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Unique Maui Tours
Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Roberts Hawaii
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
New York City
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horseback Riding, Snorkeling Tours

If you have any fear of the water then you should try to contact Ann Fielding snorkel trips in maui she has a web page that will sum up all she has to offer.

Other wise there are lots of places to go and snorkel on your own and any dive shop will give you a map.

mu
new jersey
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Horseback Riding, Snorkeling Tours

Hi Roberta,

I am leaving to Maui on Jan 8th and returning on 18th, i have never done horseback riding, little nervous abt it but wanted to give it a try, even i am looking for some info on good tours for horseback riding, if i take one or come across one will post it here. Kidney.. thanks for posting abt ann fielding, i checked it out and looks nice.i am little nervous abt deep water so this tour will be good.

san francisco
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Horseback Riding, Snorkeling Tours

These activities are nice to do on maui there is a good horseback riding that goes into the crater on haleakalla i havent done it but have heard good things about it. yes snorkeling is good at several locations onn the island.equipment is cheap to rent and they will provide maps but i would reccommend a boat trip to molokini. the boat trip is shorter from the kihei side and ther are several different companies that offer different things ( meals, drinks even glass bottom boats ) enjoy your trip maui is a beautiful place.

wis
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horseback Riding, Snorkeling Tours

We fell in love with riding at Mendes Ranch in the upcountry. It is really a working cattle ranch and the cowboys are truly cowboys. I've ridden there four times and will make my fifth ride with them this month. They take you from waterfalls right down to the ocean, and all on their property. The views are spectacular and you get to canter a couple of times, pretty unheard of on trail rides. The best part. not only are they super friendly and enjoy showing you their property, but the price can't be beat. Try their website at www.mendesranch.com. I'm going to try a ride in Makena this time too. But, you can't go wrong with the Mendes ride! Happy Trails.

Mentioned in this post
Makena
Makena
Maui, HI
New York, NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horseback Riding, Snorkeling Tours

Molokini-Try to take the boat Four Winds II at Maalaea Harbor - I forget what org they're with. For snorkeling it's cheap and safe-It's cheaper in the afternoon rather than morning. They do roll call after snorkeling to make sure you���re onboard. They also are a pretty big boat, if you���re prone to motion sickness, this would be a good boat for you. The glass bottom part of it is good too cause you can stand on the glass part and see below you and on the lower wall too. And it���s safe cause they make you take off your shoes while on board. They offer pictures and video of your experience. (If no one is buying the video, by the time you���re almost back to the harbor, they drop the price for the video by ��)

Whale watching- Pacific Whale Foundation-cheap and safe and informative as to what you���re seeing. It's cheaper in the afternoon rather than morning. Also a non-profit org.

'IAO VALLEY STATE PARK- do able in about 1 hour. Small area to walk around.

Wailea���upscale shops at the Shops at Wailea

Check out the Cannery mall if you���re looking for a shopping mall kind of place. Not really geared for tourists. But lots of tourist come here.

ABC stores have cheaper chocolates and souveniers.

La Perouse Bay-lava rocks- difficult to drive. But not as bad as

Hana and Ohe���o Gulch nor Halekala State Park

HALEAKALA NATIONAL PARK- heading to Haleakala (on Rt 37 ?) before you hit Kula (signs directing you Kula is on the right) stop for a bathroom break and gas. Before the turnoff to Kula is where there is a McDonald���s and a gas station (possibly a Shell). Try to hit Kula by sunrise to avoid the traffic going up the mountain and later coming back down. When you enter the state park, (not before the state park) there are few guardrails and you will be competing with large tour buses and people on bikes on tight roads. Wouldn���t recommend driving up before sunrise unless you���re a really experienced driver and not afraid of tight roads. (Easier drive than going to Hana and Ohe���o Gulch)

Hana Highway-heading to Hana is fantastic, except the roads are a bit tight. So try to get to Paia by Sunrise so you can start your road to Hana early. Roads to Paia are easy to navigate. But going to Hana after Paia is hard. There are one lane roads and bridges, when in doubt going around one lane curves, honk your horn. Some people blow by you on the opposite direction (or from behind you). This can be dangerous but isn���t so bad. It���s more annoying to go on the turns than completely dangerous. However, there are areas without guardrails. At the area where there is a brick wall and curve, honk your horn repeated so that people know you���re coming.

Ohe���o Gulch--After the road to Hana, if you���re a good driver with a moderately sized rental car, go to Ohe���o Gulch. From Hana to Ohe���o Gulch, it���s definitely A LOT harder to drive. But it could be worth it if you get there early enough and avoid the other drivers. The roads here are more curvy and more tight. When there are two cars next to each other, mirror to mirror, there is about 2-4 inches b/w your car and the side of the cliff. (Sometiems only brick CURB at the edge. (comprised of one brick). But keep in mind that you���ll be on the road with huge minivans, and huge tour buses. Not for the weak of heart. At one point, I had to get out of my car and get a stranger to drive past the 5 cars in the opposite direction (there were too many cars behind me to back up my car).

Lahaina-good shopping area, arrive early (9am) to get free parking spots in public parking area that is one block away from last bit of shops (past the Banyan tree and past the marina and past the Pacific Whalers Foundation) (on the side of the road where the Pacific Whalers Foundation is)

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kula
Kula
Maui, HI
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
hartland, WI
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Horseback Riding, Snorkeling Tours

Dear People from Milwaukee,

My wife and I are planning on being in Maui in August. You mentioned renting a condo with good snorkeling right in front of the buildings. Could you please e-mail me back with information on this topic. rheineckj@merton.k12.wi.us

Thanks, John

wis
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Horseback Riding, Snorkeling Tours

John,

Hey another Wisconsin Maui lover! We just got back from Maui this morning, so I envy you going in August. The website for the condo that we've fallen in love with is www.mauiohmaui.com It is on the 6th floor of the Mana Kai. There is a post on this board titled Mana Kai that has quite a bit of info on it that might help. We absolutely love this condo, and wouldn't stay anywhere else! Pretty good rates in August too. As far as snorkeling gones, my husband said he saw not only a bunch of great fish but also an octopus near the rocks (little one that stayed out of his way). You can hear the whales this time of year singing beneath the water.

Just a side note, if you like snorkeling, try the Trilogy day trip to Lanaii. We just went last Thursday (2nd time), and it was like swimming in a fish bowl. It is unquestionably the best snorkeling I have ever done.

wis
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Horseback Riding, Snorkeling Tours

Oh one more comment since this thead meantioned horseback riding. We did ride at Makena Stables for their sunset ride and rode at Mendes Ranch (5th time) just this past Monday. If anyone needs any info on this, let me know.