We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching

Ohio
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Topic
Whale Watching

I'm new here, but I've been reading and also have some books from the library, I was wondering if we do the Pacific Whale's whale watching tour if it is better to leave out of Lahaina or Maalaea harbor? Which is least crowded and do they go to the same area from both harbors to view the whales? We are planning on going at the end of March into early April-hope the whales will still be there... Any help or input is appreciated!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching

What ever is closest to where you are staying.

They go where the whales are most likely to be seen.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching

Agree with Bill. Actually, the time you'll be there should be ideal; the little one's (so to speak) are especially frisky & seem to really enjoy showing-off.

You're in for a treat!

Ohio
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching

Thanks for your input! Are there any hotels that you can usually see whales from in your room on your lanai? We will still do the Pacific Whale tour but just wonderin' if anyone's been able to see them from their room. When we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge in Disney World a couple of years ago, we had a Savannah view room and woke up to giraffe's eating outside our balcony- really neat!! I know the whales would not be close up, but I was hoping to be able to sit out on a balcony and see the blue water with wild life. All I can see out my window here at home is a refinery...

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching

You can see them from the shore, but mo bettah with binoculars. They'll not be so close, mostly you'll see spouts and tail slaps, but if you do a whale watch you can get a much closer look. A good informative whale watch will teach you quite a bit about their behavior and migration, too. You can go da cheap, but be aware that you get what you pay for. I went on a whale watch last year as a guest of someone else, on a real broke down boat from Lahaina. They parked just out in the channel --to save fuel maybe? You will see whales it you are out there during whale season, and any boat ride becomes a whale watch. But the experience will be better with Pac Whale Foundation or one of the other better companies. End of March, they'll be out there. PWF will find them for you. Creaky leaky tubs captain might not make so much of an effort.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching

Hi Ohio,

Not only are you visiting Hawaii at prime whale watching time, Maui is, by far, their favorite hang-out. Just about any ocean front room will provide you with multiple sightings; we prefer floors 3-5. Have stayed at Maui Kai many times and enjoyed it, but most recently were on the 10th floor and found it necessary to be on lanai, and look down, to see many whales. On our next visit, we're going back to Valley Isle (4th floor) it's significantly cheaper, also has wonderful views, but no air conditioning (not a problem except during summer when hotter).

As for on-shore viewing places, there is an "official" spot on highway 30; just a couple of miles west of Maalaea. It's always crowded, but what we do is hike just fifty yards, or so, to the east, spread out a blanket, park our keesters, picnic and enjoy the show; the whales often come in very close. In addition to binoculars, highly recommend a digital "stabilized" (no tri-pod required!) zoom-lens camera. Ours is a Panasonic, but Cannon, Minolta and several others sell them. Have taken great pictures from 200 yards away that look like we were within 20 feet. These models are typically $400+, and are somewhat more bulky, but easy to operate; absolutely love ours.

Hawaii is Paradise any time of year, but the Whales make it even more special!

Dodge & Sharon

Ontario
Level Contributor
465 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching

We did the Pacific Whale Watching tour before and loved it. I posted about it a week or so ago. Do a search for PWF and you will find my post.