We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

We're thinking of taking ATA LA to Maui round trip in January 2006.

Are ATA seats average size, I'm 6'2" and need a little more leg room than average? Is comfort an issue on ATA?

Any other reasons not to book ATA?

Thank you.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
75 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

This is kinda late to post but I just went and came back on ATA 9/3-9/24 in Maui. We have flown them the last 5 years and love it. We fly sfo-ogg. We have never been late going or returning, the service is good and the planes are comfortable. Husband is 5"11 and would like more room but it's only 5 hours. When you book, ask for abulk head sit if it's available. I understand that Pleasant Hawaiian will not be using ATA starting next year and I am disappointed. I understand they will be using United and Delta, neither which I like, but I like Delta more than United. Will have to see how that plays out.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
75 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

PS: I know I can book direct with ATA but in the past it has been more expensive to book direct than to go with PH.

California
Level Contributor
199 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

A friend calls ATA "all sardine class" because they have only coach seats but I don't find them to be any better or worse than the others. My husband is 6'1" and he was OK. (Although he recently got a first class flight and now he thinks we should fly first class all the time!) The sherbert after the movie and the hot towels before landing are a surprisingly welcome touch. They really do make you feel better. I used to fly ATA on each trip because the price was the best but I've switched to Hawaiian becase ATA does not have a frequent flyer program and I can transfer miles from the American Express Rewards program. If it were not for that, I'd still be flying ATA.

If you can save a couple hundred bucks on the flight you will be able to have a nice dinner and another activity when you get there. Worth it for me.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

I fly Delta b/c they go direct from Atlanta -- easiest for me. But the service stinks. (Haven't flown since the bankruptcy -- hope it didn't get worse). Anyway -- it's a coach flight -- what else is there to say?

I definitely buy my own food these days -- even on international flights. I'm afraid we have lost the days where airlines distinguished themselves on service. That said, I wouldn't worry about taking ATA. Unless you're flying first class on another airline (and even that is going downhill), I don't think you'll be missing anything.