We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

We're thinking of taking ATA LA to Maui round trip in January 2006.

Are ATA seats average size, I'm 6'2" and need a little more leg room than average? Is comfort an issue on ATA?

Any other reasons not to book ATA?

Thank you.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
291 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

ezrider2, go to seatguru.com and you can see the layout of each airline's fleet by cabin type. I hope this helps. They have measurements of pitch, seat width, etc.

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

Aloha!

ATA has gotten better over the years.

That said, there seats are kind of tight, and they are often used as a "charter" by Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays. What that means is 1 flight per day, and if there are problems, you are stuck until that plane is fixed. Personally, I prefer American and United which offer 2-3 flights each day out of LAX. I find their planes to have more seat/leg room, and that their baggage service is quicker!

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

what about hawaiian air

Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

If you want good leg room, the ads you see about American Airlines is true.....You have alot more leg room with them...

San Diego
Level Contributor
108 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

Yes, ATA is a cattle car. We tried it once and will never do it again. It was extremely cramped, service was very limited, and they have been shut down by the FAA for maintenance violations. That happened while we were in Hawaii, and when we tried to call to see what our options were to return, all we ever got was a recording with no info. At about 5 AM on the day we were supposed to return, we received a call saying our plane would be leaving in one hour. After we packed in a total frenzy, they made us wait for several hours at the airport. It was a horrific ending to a vacation. Enough said?

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

I fly between Maui and LA several times a year and much prefer ATA over most of the others. I've never had any problems with delays and the seats are comfortable. It' the little things: the free tropical cocktail, the cool towels, the pineapple sherbet on ATA that make the difference. I recently flew American and it was up there with the worst flights I have had in a while. I did not think there was any more legroom on that flight, so I checked with seatguru. ATA flies 757s OGG - LAX. According to seatguru they have a seat pitch of 32-33" and 17" seats. American flies either 767, 32-34" pitch and 17.2" seats, or 757, 31' pitch, 17.2" seat.

On ATA they have a tasty, cheesey snack mix that they hand out in decent portion sizes, aloing with food service. American told us there was food for sale, but they ran out of the sandwiches before they made it halfway through the cabin and all they had to offer us was a $3 snack box that consisted of a one oz bag or toritlla chips, some very odd tasting "salsa" and a pack of Lorna Doone shortbread cookies.

I am flying American again tomorrow and I will buy food before going to the airport.

Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

kaiwahine, I am flying ATA in October and am happy to hear a positive review about this airline. PHEW!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

At 6'2", I doubt that you would be comfortable in any coach seat that's not bulkhead. I've flown ATA from SFO, and while I won't call it luxurious, it got us there with extra money for our vacation, and that's OK by me (and I'm 5'10", hubby is 6'1")

OC, CA
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

I flew with ATA to Hawaii two years ago. I'm 6'2" and it was ok. It's not like it was the greatest, but it definitely wasn't the worst. The only problem was that we were seated by the restrooms.....I don't think I need to tell you why that was bad.

We are flying with AA next month only because they were cheaper. If you can get a better price with ATA I say take it.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATA Airline Los Angeles To Maui-Is It A Cattle Car?

I second the advice to utilize seatguru.com to determine the best seat arrangenments and planes for your trip. Another option is that UNITED now has a program called Easy Access where you and a companion can upgrade to their available Economy Plus section for $300.00 per year for both of you. This gives you 5 extra inches of knee/legroom over their standard coach seats. I'm doing this on my trip to Kona and Maui next week--cause I'm 6'4".