We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High-Speed Interisland Ferry Coming

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
High-Speed Interisland Ferry Coming

Saw this link posted on Fodors and thought it was interesting:

http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/

Actually think I saw one of these boats in tied up in Seattle just before it crossed the Pacific to Hawaii. Pretty impressive ferry.

Ken

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: High-Speed Interisland Ferry Coming

Will spend some time trying to locate article later today, but they claim to have developed special Whale detection radar and also, as I recall, are planning on having two lookouts (now that would be a cool job).

Agree 100%; no concerted effort and success at avoiding collisions with Whales and they should be denied permission to operate. I'd like to believe that financially, and operationally, this thing can make it, but sure appears to be a long-shot.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: High-Speed Interisland Ferry Coming

Radar is fine except it only works above water. There is a ton of conroversy over SONAR which works below the water. Some groups claim if messes with the whale's own "Sonar".

I am sure the ferry company doesn't want to run into any whales either since it probably would not do the ferry or those onboard a lot of good (besides the whale getting hurt).

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: High-Speed Interisland Ferry Coming

So far, this is what I could locate among my bookmarks: starbulletin.com/2003/…pendleton.html

Also: company propaganda @: hawaiisuperferry.com

A significant portion of the "Environment" section is devoted to Whale avoidance including mention of "automatic tracking & plotting radar".

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,416 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: High-Speed Interisland Ferry Coming

Thanks for the update Kama...

Just goes to show whether you are a multi-million dollar company (Superferry) or a 16 year-old (like my son),

...nothing opens up the lines of communication faster than threateneing to cut off someone's funds.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: High-Speed Interisland Ferry Coming

Many chuckles and memories on that one Amber; just prepare yourself for the "who'll flinch first/fine, I'll just dop-out & get a job game".

From experience, presentation of an official looking Room and Board Agreement on day three should hasten the declaration of victory.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,416 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: High-Speed Interisland Ferry Coming

Kama, that is sooooo timely (you have no freakin' idea)...

Particularly after he was at the "rave" in Seattle a couple weeks ago where 7 people were killed at a nearby "after" party.

No matter that its across the street from the police station and full of off-duty cops, its a hard world in the city outside.

Cars, money, girls, music...hey, I'm a child of the 60s and can deal with it. I'm sure my parents said the same things; and now the karmic debt is coming due.

Always willing to hear advice from a sage.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: High-Speed Interisland Ferry Coming

Woa Amber, sounds like you have a heavy load on your mind.

Based on somewhat outdated to second-hand experiences, and lacking knowledge of where you may now be in the process, application of:

1) Parental involvement; beginning (and continuing)with the investment of time; whether initially appreciated or not.

2) Evaluation of potential benefit of change of scenery/environment with the goal of structured discipline and distancing from counter-productive influences.: A) Wilderness-programs.org B) Teen5000.com C) Out of town job/internship with relative, or friend, in something like construction D) Gather that you spend a fair amount of time on the road with business; perhaps involve your son in a trainee mode. Would think that he's of the age where this might be appealing E) No matter what strategy is employed, imposition of the time-proven Curfew (accompanied by corny activites with family).

Lacking, or supplementing the above, investigation, beginning with a summer trip, of a military school (example): nmmi.cc.nm.us/

Whatever, love, consistency and perseverance will be needed...in clearly discernible doses.

As an aside, my son passed away one month and two days ago, at the age of 37, of natural causes. Over the years, we had become the very best of friends....

May success be yours Amber,

kama

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,416 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: High-Speed Interisland Ferry Coming

Thanks Kama...

Don't think I haven't given a briefly passing thought to shipping him off to an outdoor "growth camp" in idaho. There's one that has worked quite well for the children of a few family friends from Hilo-side.

But, he's not that bad...I just want him to be perfect is all...

The pressures of urbania and suburbia are certainly tougher to counter today (man, I sound old).

I'm sure YOUR son was a fine human being...

Maui
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: High-Speed Interisland Ferry Coming

Seems like a brand new ferry idea, crops up every decade or so. I'll believe it when I see it!