We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Trip Report - July31st - Aug 2nd

dallas
Level Contributor
273 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Trip Report - July31st - Aug 2nd

Maui Trip Report

Day 1 – Took Pacific Wings Airlines from the Big Island to Maui. After renting a car and checking into the Maui Westin we took a walk along the ocean and then had dinner at the Tropica. The food was good not great, but the service was excellent and the view of the sunset was incredible.

Day 2 – After spending 5 very active days on the Big Island we were ready for a relaxing day at the beach. We grabbed our snorkel gear and headed down to the big rock right in front of the Sheraton and spent most of the day snorkeling and laying by the beach. The snorkeling was pretty good there, we went around the big black rock to the other side and rested on the beach there before heading back. We saw fish, several turtles, and a few eels. We wanted to get to bed early that night because we were getting up at 2am for the sunrise/bike ride down Haleakala so we just hung out on our balcony and had some cocktails before going to bed around 8pm

Day 3 – Alarm went off at 1:45am and we got our gear together and headed for our meeting point. We used Haleakala Bike Company. After an hour + ride up the mountain we hung out and watched the sunrise. We had great weather and it was a beautiful sunrise. After that we started our descent down the mountain. The company we used does the self-guided tour so my husband and I went at our own pace. We stopped half way down at the Kula Lodge for breakfast. After the bike ride we were exhausted from getting up so early and went back to the hotel and slept for a couple hours. At 4pm we had surf lessons with Hula Surf. We did a private couple lesson that was $150 for almost 3 hours. It was such a blast. I got up on my first try and surfed all the way to shore. My husband being 6’2” and 225 pounds had a little harder time but by the end of the lesson he was getting up and staying up. I would recommend this company they did a great job and are very enthusiastic about their surfing. That night we had dinner and some fish restaurant on the ocean. Very nice.

Day 4 – Today we did the Road to Hana. We got a late start and got to the road at 11am. This is the curviest road I’ve ever been on. I had read several times about how many curves there are but you just can’t even imagine. It was an awesome day though. Our first stop was the 4 falls which was awesome and it continued being spectacular the whole ride. There are two ways you can do the road to hana, you can dress all cute and stop at the falls along the road and take pretty pictures, or you can get dirty and wet and really see some cool stuff. I recommend the later. We used the revealed book and found the Hana section to be great. We especially liked the falls they call Punalau Falls a little past the 13 mile mark. We had the falls to ourselves and it was just so beautiful. Definitely do this one. It’s about a 10 minute hike in, the first step down is pretty treacherous but after that no problem. Just be careful because the rocks are slippery. Wai’anapanapa Black Sand Beach and the 7 pools are also awesome. This is a long day, we went all the way around and didn’t get back until 10pm but it was so worth it. If you start late like we did, pick up some food because all the road side stands are closed by 5pm..

Day 5 – Today we decided to try out our new surfing skills and rented boards from Hula Surf and went out on our own. Unfortunately the waves weren’t very good but it was still fun being out on the water. The view of the mountains couldn’t be more beautiful. After surfing we went home and got ready and headed to Warren and Annabelles. Ok anyone who knows me is shocked when I say I went to a magic show. I hate magic shows. This though was fantastic. I actually look at it more as a comedy show with magic thrown in. My husband and I have never laughed so hard. Definitely go to this show! Definitely do not sit in the front row. You will either be the people laughing at the people being verbally abused in the front row, or you will be the people being verbally abused in the front row. It’s better to be the ones laughing. The magic is also really cool but this guy is so funny.

Day 6 – Another early morning. Today we checked out of the Westin and also had to head back to Haleakala to do the horse ride down the crater. We used Pony Express Tours and it was awesome. This was the best way to see the crater because the horses just kind of follow each other allowing you to have time to look around. What a gorgeous scene. I wish I had pictures to show of this but dust got in our camera and scratched the CD so none of the pics came out. I definitely recommend this though, and if you are trying to decide between the horse ride and the bike ride down the crater I would go with the horse ride. Both are good but the horse ride is better. We finished the horse ride around 3:00 and drove to Kihei to check into the Bestwestern. This was a horrible experience but I won’t get into it. Later that night we went to Sansei for sushi.

Day 7 – After getting up and dealing with our problems at the Best Western we headed for La Perouse Bay to do some snorkeling. We followed the directions in maui revealed and went out to the pools. The water was really rough but the snorkeling was good. After spending most of the afternoon there we headed to another beach and my husband snorkeled while I laid on the beach. We ate a very tasty dinner at Bada Bings.

Day 8 – This was our last day on Maui so we got up packed up our car and headed to the beach. Although we would have loved to hike Iao Valley, we were afraid to leave all our luggage in the car so we just left our car in the hotel parking lot and hung out on the beach. It was a nice relaxing day and a great trip.

Here is a link to our pictures. The first 26 pictures are of the Big Island, the rest are of Maui.

http://hawaiiaug2005trip.shutterfly.com

Redding, California
Level Contributor
454 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Maui Trip Report - July31st - Aug 2nd

CSAV--Great pics! Did you have a special underwater camera, or just a disposable? I ordered some of the Manta Ray pics, as ours didn't turn out well at all. The lava photos were great too--we didn't see as great of lava as you did--great report too. Thanks!

dallas
Level Contributor
273 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Maui Trip Report - July31st - Aug 2nd

luglug99,

It took us about 5 hours round trip as well. Definitely worth the hike it was awesome.

ediemarie,

It was 50 degrees there when we went but the wind was kind of chilly. I’m not sure how cold it will be in October but if you aren’t doing the bike ride down and just want to see a sunrise or sunset, do the sunset. The van driver on our way up the mountain told us the sunsets are even more beautiful because there are more colors. If we ever go back, we’ll probably pack up a picnic and head up there for the sunset.

travelcrzy,

Definitely take the surf lessons, they are so much fun!

dallas
Level Contributor
273 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Maui Trip Report - July31st - Aug 2nd

mammadodds,

For our pics of the turtles and fish we used two underwater cameras, a Fuji and a Kodak both bought from Walmart for under $10. I had to laugh when you asked me about the Manta Ray pics. I actually found those on the web and claimed them as mine. I did buy a $20 underwater camera with a flash from the divemasters on our boat and then had the dang thing facing the wrong way and 27 pictures of myself. I just couldn't bare not having any pictures because it was so cool so I searched the web until I found some. LOL

Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Maui Trip Report - July31st - Aug 2nd

csav, what was your favorite of the 2 islands?