We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheeseburger in Paradise bumping up the tab

Maryland
Level Contributor
212 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Cheeseburger in Paradise bumping up the tab

Has anyone had a similar experience in Cheeseburger in Paradise. I am just curious if it was just the waiter or the restaruant. This is also in my soon to be posted trip report. Word of warning when the waiter asks you if you want extra or optional anything after you already looked at the menu he’s just trying to bump up the tab. He kept suggesting for us to order other/extra stuff along with the items that we ordered. We ordered each one hamburger, one order of fries to split. How much more can two people eat. Then I ordered a drink, planters punch. The waiter asked me if I wanted coconut rum in it, it makes the drink taste better. I said sure why not, when we got the bill it was an extra charge for the rum that he didn’t tell me about. It’s not the money, but the point. $50 for 2 burgers, 1 plate of french fries, 2 planters punches and 2 vodka drinks. I’m not complaining about the price, everthing was very good and you are paying for the location too. I know everyone is trying to make a living and it’s tough on the island. But I felt like I had just left a car dealership the way he kept trying to convince us to order more food and put extra liquor in our drinks. He tried to get us to order onion rings 3 times. I don’t know if this BS was coming from the waiter or orders from management. HE was nice, but pushy. This is not necessary and I will never go in Cheeseburer in Paradise again because of this, if it's coming from the management. Of course, they want to encourage you to buy more food, maybe it was the way our waiter went about it. If anyone has info on this or a similar experience, let me know.

Pitt Meadows, Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise bumping up the tab

I think this is a common practice in lots of restaurants. They push the appies, ask if you'd like to add mushrooms to your burger or steak etc. I would expect to pay more for a drink though if I said add some liquor. They don't just give it away.

It's the same thing if they ask if you want to "super size" the drink. You can't blame them for trying but in the end it's you who decides what you are going to have.

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise bumping up the tab

agreed, this happens at many places. no need to single them out.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise bumping up the tab

Would have to agree with the previous 2 post. In most cases nothing extra is offered for free. You are in control and can always say no or ask if there would be an additional charge. I used to work at a TGIF restaurant in my early 20's and you HAD to try to up sell everything. If someone ordered a vodka tonic you asked if they would like Stoli. If they ordered fries you asked them if they wanted cheese and chili on them. Maybe they were having an onion ring contest that day. Don't kill the messanger! Just politely say NO Thanks!!

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise bumping up the tab

cant think of a restaurant that i have been in where the wait person hasnt said would you like a cocktail and or would you like to start off with some appetizers----what about when they come over with the dessert tray without asking you if you want dessert---------------------dont think cheeseburger is any different and the ops comments certainly wont stop me from going there--------------maybe it was the 4 drinks that ran the tab up

Maryland
Level Contributor
212 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise bumping up the tab

My post was completely misunderstood and twisted around based your replies. I dont appreciate how you turned this topic completely into something it's not. There is no reason for you all to act like a bunch of vultures.

Msparkyace - You totally missed what I was saying here. I never said or even eluded to, making anyone think I wanted to get something for nothing. Of course, I expect to be asked if I want to order appetizers, a drink and dessert. This is not being pushy. Never did I state that I asked him to add more liquor. You just put words in my mouth.

iluvkimi - I was not singling them out. I just never experineced the pushiness and aggressiveness like that in a restaraunt before. That's all.

You dont try to push an item 3 times after someone has looked at the menu and ordered. You really had to be there to see what was going on and how it was happening.

movemetowailea - I am aware that the waiters are there to inform the customers what is on the menu and what the restaraunt thas to offer. YOU dont have to tell me I am in control. I proved I was expecially when the waiter tried to get us to order the same item 3 times and 3 times said no. I am not killing the messenger. BY making the following statement " Of course, they want to encourage you to buy more food, maybe it was the way our waiter went about it."

I made it clear that I knew this is their job to encourage people to buy more food. I have no problem with this, there is nothing wrong with offereing and suggesting. I appreciate and expect that. I dont appreciate pushyness.

Lounge1043 - You are way off on your reply and I actually said I was not complaining about the tab. You make it sound like I felt the waiter should not ask me if I want drinks and appetizer or dessert. You are wrong. I know what the tab was going to be when I ordered. Remember, the prices ARE on the menu. Except for the extra charge for the liquor that the waiter failed to tell me was extra. I assumed there would be a charge I was just waiting for him to tell me and he never did. He offered it but failed to tell me it was extra. That's all. Wouldnt you expect to be told how much something costs if it is offered to you ? I dont think that's unreasonable.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise bumping up the tab

It's the restaurant. I know someone who works at the Cheesebuger in Paradise in Wailea, though they can't call it that exact name (that's another story). She said she is probabley going to get fired, as they are expected to "sell" push for a bigger tab.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise bumping up the tab

nanmar

considering that all of us misread and or misinterpeted your orig post maybe it was the way you posted that led us to misread or misinterpet your post---------------by the way i worked for an auto dealership for 12 years and by your statement its obvious that you havent dealt with a good dealership that listens to the customer

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise bumping up the tab

relax.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise bumping up the tab

YIPES- I don't think that anyone was trying to upset you! Just trying to show that it is just how some restaurants work and not to let it ruin your meal or your relaxing vacation on a beautiful island. I hope that the rest of your stay was pleasant. Sorry

Maui
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise bumping up the tab

I had a similar experience at Milagro's in Pa`ia last year ... and I'm still fuming.

The waiter kept asking if we wanted more tea. And we kept saying yes. (We were kinda cold after swimming.) Little did we know that he was charging us 2 bucks each time ... for Lipton tea! The hot tea felt good in our cold bodies ... but not $12 good!!! (No, I didn't pay. Yes, he was huffy about it.)