We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pants??? :)

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Pants??? :)

I'm leaving for Maui in two days with my wife in kids (9 and 11). Is there any reason I need to bring pants? I'm guessing shorts, tank top, and sandals every day. My wife thinks otherwise. Any thoughts??

One other question. Is there a "best" day to drive to Hana?

Livermore...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pants??? :)

No, you won't need long pants. If you go up to the Volcano you'll need a lightweight jacket or sweatshirt. Otherwise, like you said, shorts, tank top and sandals are all you'll need. And swimsuit, of course!

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pants??? :)

I bring em and never wear them. If you really have a need for some buy some there.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pants??? :)

"If you really have a need for some buy some there."

lol That is really funny 'cause I'm just back from shopping with Kaikane all day trying to find him some long pants for a trip to the mainland next week. He doesn't own any, but his old ratty levi's and his biking pants. His options here stand at go to Macy's and pay way more than I want to pay for something he'll wear once, or go to WalMart and buy him pants he won't wear even on the mainland cause they look he bought them at WalMart. We've been battling over this all day cause he just doesn't want long pants, but he'll need them. He says he'll still stay wearing slippahs.

Yes, you might need jeans if you go Haleakala, or for certain activities (horseback riding comes to mind) or are you talking about pants, like khaki's, for wearing at dinner? I say no need for them, but if you want them, best not chance 'em and bring your own.

Gilbert
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pants??? :)

We just returned from Maui and my husband and the other guys never wore pants. We ate out at nice restaurants every night and they just wore nice 'dressy' shorts and a nice shirt, usually a button up short sleeve shirt or nice polo with a belt & nice sandals.

I agree with the others - there is no need for pants unless you are going horseback riding or up to the volcano.

As for us girls, we all had a few pairs of capris with us - but that was more for fashion than necessity.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pants??? :)

Thanks for the replies. I won't be bringing any pants. 46 hours and 46 minutes to go before I leave for Maui. Woohoo!!!