We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui's August Weather PLS

south san francisco
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Maui's August Weather PLS

My family and I will be in Hawaii the 2nd week of August 2005. (Kaanapali to be exact)

Is there anybody there that can tell me that its really not raining there right now? Please... I have been going to weather.com and it doesnt look good at this time.

We are very much looking forward to our first family vacation. If you just got there or you somehow know please post.

Thank you so much.

I KU MAU MAU
Level Contributor
788 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui's August Weather PLS

I was in Ka'anapali today and it was not raining. : -)

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui's August Weather PLS

Step away from weather.com!

Try mauiweathertoday.com

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui's August Weather PLS

While in Maui last summer, they predicted rain everyday and it did not rain in the 5 days we were there. In fact, it was sunny and hote each day (stayed in Wailea).

I agree, stay away from weather.com, they tend to be more negative about conditions (i.e. partly cloudy instead of partly sunny etc...).

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui's August Weather PLS

I was there last August and it never rained a drop in 7 days.

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui's August Weather PLS

Pretty early in the morning right now in Hawaii (still dark) . You should get better feedback a bit later. The suggestion to use mauiweathertoday.com is a good one. Hawaiian weather is HIGHLY localized and transitory. Driven by the constant tradewinds, showers tend to come and go quickly and one area is usually affected while another is not. Mauiweathertoday.com takes this into account much more than weather.com does.

Also, keep in mind that a 40% chance of rain does not mean that it will be raining 40% of the time or that 40% of the area will get rain - it merely means that there is a 40% chance that there will be some rain at some point during the day somewhere in the area that the forecast is for. Since it often rains somewhere at some time during a lot of days, you often see some chance of rain. It usually does not mean that it's going to rain where YOU are - and if it does it' usually only briefly. This often happens at night - or if it ocurrs during the day, often in the form of very brief (15-20 minute long) showers that usually feel pretty nice because they cool things off a bit - and 10 minutes later you'd never even know it had rained. These types of rain rarely get in the way of anything.

Finally, once it becomes daylight over there, take a peak at some of the many Maui webcams so you can see for yourself if the forecast seems to be telling the truth.

Here's a link to some:

http://www.tiki.net/~rw/video/video.html

There's just no substitute for a real-time view.

Ken

south san francisco
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui's August Weather PLS

Hi Everyone...

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! Your posts are great. Now I can relax and look forward to our trip without my worries.

I will definitely be using mauiweather instead. The live cam is a great idea too. Actually I have been using the one they have at Sheraton Maui since we will be staying there anyway. Its just so hard to tell since the screen is so small...

I guess I just needed to hear the good news from somebody else.

Thanks again