We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about trade winds, etc

North Bend...
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Question about trade winds, etc

I am booked at the Whaler ( in a studio) in September.. I am very excited. I will probably have a guest or two with me now (did not know that before!) My question is that I am concerned about laying on the beach in the afternoon. I know the pool at the whaler is probably smaller than the pool in someones back yard.... On the days we decide to just beach it all day, I am concerned that we will just get blown away. Are the winds really that horrible that you can't be on the beach in the afternoon???

I don't care about the pool..but I will have guest with me now and I want them to have a great time as well!

Also not sure if a studio will be big enough for 3 people (3 well behaved, normal adults!) ...it is not like we will be hanging out there....

Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about trade winds, etc

The good and the bad about the tradewinds:

Good, they cool you off and feel very pleasant. It isnt so windy that you have trouble navigating or anything close to that!

Bad, if on the beach, in a bathingsuit, the sand they seem to kick up really stings when it hits you.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about trade winds, etc

Maybe, maybe not.

The trades do not blow all the time, and when they do, they can be light or fierce. Other factors contribute to the winds too. Offshore storm systems can interfere with the trades, but can bring winds from other directions that can be even worse. When Kona winds start to blow, tie down everything on the lanai!

Afternoon sun is hot, so you may be done with the beach by then. On other days, the sky may cloud up by afternoon. We usually hit the beach early and by lunch are ready to move on. If you get a day where the trades kick up, no worries! Just find something else to do.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about trade winds, etc

Oops, just noticed you'll be here in September. September is high Pacific storm season. We rarely get any of these storms (`Iniki being one of the exceptions), and while they normally are far from our shores, they effect our weather patterns. The trade winds begin to fade in September and as a result September tends to be our hottest, and most humid month. If I use my A/C at all during the year, it will most likely be in the month of September.

Queen Creek, Arizona
Level Contributor
235 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about trade winds, etc

I have stayed in the Whaler studios many, many times. They are an excellent value in comarison to a hotel room. Much larger as well. They are approximately 600 Sq. ft. and also have a large Lanai, so three people is not a problem. You will probably want to have them put a roll away in your room for you though. Most of the studios have a king bed. If you are not satisfied with your room upon check-in, tell them. They seem to be really good about moving you to the right room until you are satisfied. As far as the pool, it is actually much larger than you will find in someone's backyard, however much smaller than the resorts. I go there for the beach though, and there is no better spot than The Whaler for that. As far as the trades go, it can be windy one day and calm the next. The Whaler now rents brand new cabanas though on the beach through a vendor. It is a good idea to reserve them in advance since they only have about eight of them that fit two people each. I think they are about 35 bucks a day. It would keep you off the sand a little though, preventing the stinging when it is windy. Good Luck.

North Bend...
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about trade winds, etc

Thanks Maui guy and everyone else! I LOVE the studio I picked out at the Whaler (rented through vrbo.com)....I was originally going alone..so I was fine with everything. I just want to make sure that I show my 2 best buddies a GREAT time in Maui... and 2 of us are spoiled, since we stayed at the Grand Wailea last time we were in Maui.. but this time I have to pay! It's as little different when you are footing the bill!!

Thanks!