We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What (or what not) to pack

Chicago
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What (or what not) to pack

I don't want to overpack (this always seems to happen though) so I can have room to bring things home. Will my husband need a sport coat? Do any restaurants require one?

Is Haleakala chilly all the time or just in the morning? Still haven't decided if we will do this.

Thanks!

Alaska
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: What (or what not) to pack

Just returned from Maui and lugging around my way overpacked bags and I make a vow to myself that next time I am only bringing a couple pair of shorts, some tank tops, my swim suits, a coverup and flops! Nothing more than that!

I bought waaaay too much stuff this time and didn't end up wearing most of it. And now I am sitting with a packed bag in my bedroom at home cause I don't want to unpack all of it yet! Trust me, you will not need anything more than what I mentioned!!

Stephen Burdeau
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: What (or what not) to pack

I hate to buck the trend, but ...

I think at least one pair of long pants for Haleakala is advised. Also, a good sweatshirt at least. You may want to wear several layers, especially if you go for sunrise.

I know I am in the minority here, but I would rather over pack a little (not a lot) than freeze at the summit! I figure I only lug the stuff through airports. The rest of the time it just sits in the hotel!

Nacogdoches, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: What (or what not) to pack

Let me answer this question like this . . . While I was standing in Tiffany's at Whaler's Village a young lady came in wearing only her bikini and beach cover up and flip flops. There ya go. Tiffany's for goodness sake. There is no place on this island that would ever expect a man to wear a sport coat. I WAYYYYYY overpacked and I only took shorts and flops and t-shirts!

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: What (or what not) to pack

We are going in Oct. I tend to be chilly with A/C in restaurants. Will we need a sweatshirt/sweater for the trip? Anyone wear jeans or khakis?

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: What (or what not) to pack

Not so much the A/C, unless you in Kihei Safeway--bring a coat for that one!, but it does cool down a bit at night. And it varies in different areas. I was at the Hula Conference Monday night and was all wrapped in a pareo. I keep a pahmina or pareo in my car at al times, in case I need it. You might not, but isn't it better to have it handy than to wish you had a wrap?

OK, enough work for Saturday. Computer off--I'm off to Guardrails to float on my board.

Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: What (or what not) to pack

I wish it were me saying that last sentence!!

Kelso, Washington
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: What (or what not) to pack

our first visit to the islands we over packed by 2 very full suit cases.

this time it is just one carry-on each, and my beach bag as a

purse/bag. last time I completely forgot to put in our underwear and we never missed a thing----just used our swimsuits as under clothes.....we are so-o-o-o-o ready to get back to Maui I'm already packed and we don't fly out until

mid September.

Missouri
Level Contributor
784 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: What (or what not) to pack

Mauibound--I would wear a light sweater on the plane, if you get cold in restaurants. That way you're warm on the plane and you have it for Maui at night. I usually take one, but hardly ever wear it. Jeans--No. They are way too heavy and take up lotsss of room in your suitcase.