We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana--Towards beginning or end of trip?

Chicago
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Hana--Towards beginning or end of trip?

We haven't totally decided if we are going to do this. I have been once before (years ago), but my husband has not. I remember liking it and not liking it--I was sitting in the back seat, but this time I would be in the front or maybe even the driver.

We aren't planning much, just a luau, snorkel trip to Molokini, and maybe the trip to Hana. I was going to wait until we got there to decide if we went, but I want to go to Mama's Fish House, so I am trying to decide if we should plan this for the beginning of our trip or the end. If we do the trip to Hana, will we get back to Mama's for a 6:00 res? Is this a good time to see the sunset?

If we don't do the trip to Hana, what else is there to do near Mama's Fish House? Thanks for your suggestions!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Hana--Towards beginning or end of trip?

Do you really want to arrive in Maui and do something that time consuming first. I left that for the middle of our trip.

If you leave in the morning you will be back long before 6 pm. Most people would want to be out of there long before dark. sunset is not until 8:30 or so. I guess you meant you want to see it from Mama's.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
745 posts
564 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Hana--Towards beginning or end of trip?

I thought sunset is much earlier, around 7-7:30pm

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Hana--Towards beginning or end of trip?

maybe it is. It's been 8:00 ish here in Fl. I just got back from a place where the sun was shining 24 hours a day, so what do I know.

Stephen Burdeau
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Hana--Towards beginning or end of trip?

Sunset was about 7:15 PM in early July.

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Hana--Towards beginning or end of trip?

Hawaii sunrise/sunset calculator (any major location/any time of any year between 1900 and 2100):

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/usa/Hawaii.asp

Ken

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,516 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Hana--Towards beginning or end of trip?

So VoyagerMom - did we just have an Alaskan vacation?? One of the only places I know with 24 hr sun. :) And we Alaskans love going to Hawaii! :) Already beginning to plan a Kauai vacation for next summer.

Have a good weekend! :)

Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Hana--Towards beginning or end of trip?

Lord Balfor-Thank you so much for sharing the sunrise/sunset website! We are planning to visit Mama's Fish House as well and now I can confidently make reservations to coincide with the sunset here or anywhere in the future.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback regarding Mama's Fish House and Maui in general. I have learned a lot on this forum and can't wait for our upcoming trip!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,516 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Hana--Towards beginning or end of trip?

Aloha!

I forgot to mention - I would do Hana later on your trip. We were staying in Maui for 2 weeks, did it midway thru our second week, but we also stayed a few days in Hana, so we didn't do it as a complete loop. I would think if you started early in the morning you could do it, though it might not be as leisurely. Do pack a picnic lunch to enjoy! I thought the road to Hana was great - one of the highlights on my trip to Maui.

Have a great trip! :)

Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Road to Hana--Towards beginning or end of trip?

Coal Miner & Voyager Mom-Do you post on the Alaska and Kauai forums as well? I went to Alaska last summer and would love to share trip reports. We even stayed in Healy during our visit to Denali National Park.

I am also going to Kauai, along with Maui, this September so I would love advice and could also give some as I have been there once before. Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,516 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road to Hana--Towards beginning or end of trip?

Hello Travel22:

Yes, I am becoming slightly addicted to tripadvisor! I post on Kauai, some on Maui - have to admit, I prefer Kauai over Maui. But yes, I am trying to do more postings for Alaska/Denali area for those interested. So many people get herded like cattle thru here, and I love finding those who want that little extra help to make there trip better. Am also planning a trip to Mexico (Isla Mujeres to be exact), where I have never been, so I have been using this website to get more info. It's been very helpful! I hope you had a good time in Alaska and enjoyed our local area. It's a beautiful day here - just saw a mamma moose and calf driving to work.

Will look forward to reading your postings! Have a good day! :)