We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelers checks. credit, cash, debit

Morgantown, West...
Level Contributor
233 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travelers checks. credit, cash, debit

what is the best form of payment to take to maui?

CSD
Maumelle, AR
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelers checks. credit, cash, debit

I am glad you asked this question. I am curious about this as well. I have thought about taking the american express credit card. Any advice is appreciated.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,522 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelers checks. credit, cash, debit

Travelers checks are accepted at most hotels and restaurants. Credit cards are good also and are accepted at more places. Cash is always good and with a debit card you can probably use an ATM if you need more cash. If you are staying at a hotel they will probably cash a limited $ amout of travels checks but they are not a bank.

Bottom line is you will need cash for some things (tips, farmers markets etc...) but generally you can use a credit card for everything else.

Salem Oregon
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelers checks. credit, cash, debit

Yes I am also interested I am leaving in 8 days. Also are there many ATM's on Maui and do they charge excessive fees, (more than $1.50)?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
745 posts
559 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelers checks. credit, cash, debit

I thought there was a thread on this just a few days ago, do a search - there were many helpful opinions

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelers checks. credit, cash, debit

imo cash and a credit card is all you need --smaller places may not want to take a travelers check

Stephen Burdeau
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelers checks. credit, cash, debit

I usually use a credit card whenever possible. There are usually some built-in consumer protections. Also, most cards these days provide some kind of rewards or cash back. Plus, credit cards are usually as convenient and fast as cash most places these days (was not always that way!)

Of course, you will need some cash for a few things.