We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui off beat sights

Long Island
Level Contributor
4 posts
440 reviews
Save Topic
Maui off beat sights

Hi

Planning a trip to Maui and the Big Island in November. Curious to know of any unique and interesting points of interest. (think of Clark W. Griswald and the VACATION movies). Any ideas?

Thanks

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,454 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui off beat sights

Since the books Maui revealed etc have been published there are no more secret unique places.

Although I do not have the books (I prefer to just go and find places on my own) you might start with them. Also look at all the past posts here on the forum...there is tons of suggestions.

Somewhere near the...
Level Contributor
493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui off beat sights

Road Maven: I don't know if this is in the "blue bible" (as some have come to call it), but one "different" side-trip we took last time was to the "Surfing Goat Dairy" in the Upcountry area, near Kula. It's actually a pretty neat, albeit small, goat cheese operation, but they have won competitions and do supply many of the restaurants on the island with their production. They offer free tours (if you buy stuff at the end), or paying tours for a chance to get up close and personal with the whole operation. The farm is located in a smaller area of a lovely property and the goat cheese is actually VERY good.

Here's the website if you're interested, where you can get some more info and directions: http://www.surfinggoatdairy.com/

Aloha.

Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui off beat sights

The Maui Tropical Plantation, is kinda like a "off the beaten path" place. Their is a cool restaurant and gift shopp, and a tram ride through the plantation, where they grow coffee, and fruit!

Chicago
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui off beat sights

For off beat - I loved the Maui Treehouses. I mean if your going to travel to Hana, why not stay the night?

http://www.maui.net/~hanalani/

Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui off beat sights

I think Bill's right. After the revealed books, you'll know about everything. Not everyone in Hi. hates them. We got our first one because of a recommendation from a local.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui off beat sights

Isn't there also a winery to tour?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,454 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui off beat sights

Yep mom there is..probably in the book, definatly been discussed on the forum.

I think about the only topic not in the book (could be wrong) or ever discussed here is where is THE best public restrooms....or off the beaten path ones.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui off beat sights

There is the Tedischi Winery upcountry.

It is pretty small and I don't know if I would make the trip just for that but if our are driving around the south end it is certainly worth a stop,