We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

surprise for husband born in Hawaii 50 years ago

suburban Chicago...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
surprise for husband born in Hawaii 50 years ago

Husband born and lived in North Shore of Oaha only two years. Daughters 21 and 15 and wife surprising him with trip for four of us to Maui for his 50th. Three questions: 1) Best restaurant on Maui to celebrate birthday without breaking the bank...2) any idea for activity we can surprise him with? We are planning massage appt for him, compliments of parents-in-law...3) favorite food of his is peach pie. Make for him every 8/8 birthday. Know where we can get peach pie while we are in Maui? Thanks to all who help us.

Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: surprise for husband born in Hawaii 50 years ago

The Sunset Cocktail cruise as described by Fitz sounded awesome and romantic. And the Warren and Annabel Show has gotten rave reviews on here. Also the OLL luau seems to be the most popular but be sure and book both that and the Warren and Annabel show early in the trip, if not online before you arrive. You can always cancel if you decide against them when you get to the island.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: surprise for husband born in Hawaii 50 years ago

What a great surprise! How about a helicopter ride over Molokai? Not sure about the pie but can recommend some Restaurants, Maalaea Waterfront Restuarant (really good local seafood fresh from boats), Seawatch in Wailea or you could do something like Kimo's in Laheina (they have a great waterfront location and are really moderately priced but good for maui) or Tommy Bahama's. Just a few ideas. Have fun planning!

suburban Chicago...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: surprise for husband born in Hawaii 50 years ago

wow! thanks for input. keep it coming

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: surprise for husband born in Hawaii 50 years ago

Home Maid Bakery in Wailuku makes excellent pies, although I have never had a peach one from them. If you don't wnat to drive all the way to Wailuku (and I know I avoid that at all costs), they have a location at the Foodland at Queen Ka`ahumanu Center. We had a really good peach pie last week from the Foodland in Kihei. I'm not sure if they get their pies from Home Maid there or not, but it was great, heated up and topped with Roselani ice cream.

suburban Chicago...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: surprise for husband born in Hawaii 50 years ago

thanks kaiwahine...will do that

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: surprise for husband born in Hawaii 50 years ago

I was in Kihei Foodland last night and looked. The pies there say Tutu's bakery. It was late and there was no one there to ask if they bake them there or bring them in, but either way, they are pretty tasty.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
977 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: surprise for husband born in Hawaii 50 years ago

There's an excellent bakery in Wailuku called Stillwell's Bakery

tel (808) 243-2243. You can call them to ask what pies they have. I go there to get our holiday desserts. Yummy....

suburban Chicago...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: surprise for husband born in Hawaii 50 years ago

thanks to both of you

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: surprise for husband born in Hawaii 50 years ago

Friends of ours just did the America's Cup sail out of Lahiana (it is a yacht which sailed in the America's cup - really flies!) and they loved it. It is reasonable - about $40 per person, but I have seen coupons too. They had a blast, said it was the best thing they did on Maui. Their daughter got her dad a baseball cap from the America;s Cup store for his 58th birthday, which happened while he was there. One word of caution - you get wet on the sail, so don't plan a fancy lunch afterwards!!!

suburban Chicago...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: surprise for husband born in Hawaii 50 years ago

Great idea Chicogirl...I wouldn't have known about that...thanks