We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Well, you all talked me into it! ;)

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Topic
Well, you all talked me into it! ;)

We were checking on some details of our flight two nights ago and noticed that a few more flights had been added to the rewards travel list since we booked our trip just a few weeks ago so...

...after giving it quick ponder we called up the airline and are now on the 10:30 PM flight our of Maui instead of the noon flight that we were originally booked on! It gives us an extra ten hours to site see, snorkel with the fishies, soak in the sunshine, deepen our butt prints in the sand, shop for goodies, see one more sunset and try out a couple more restaurants...and makes the car rental cheaper because the per day rate dropped when we added the extra hours to our reservation! And, as an added bonus, we'll probably have a have a better chance of adjusting to the time change since we'll be landing back here in the later afternoon instead of at 7:30 AM.

So thanks, y'all, for making Maui sound so amazing and for giving me such a long list of things to do, places to see and stuff to eat that I can't bear to leave...and I haven't even gotten there yet! I'd definitely call the tourism board to request your commission checks. ;)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Well, you all talked me into it! ;)

Ya, I can't imagine having such a time difference, although I love it because both times I've been to Hawaii, I've taken the same 8:35AM flight, and we arrive in HNL a bit after 11AM. Because we went to Maui on our last trip, we got there at 1PM and still had the entire day. Also, I forgot it was a three hours difference because in the winter it's only 2 hours difference.

Whenever I travel, I always get a second wind and just excited to be there. However, a little nap on the plane and lots of water is all the energizer one will need.

tampa, fl
Level Contributor
295 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Well, you all talked me into it! ;)

ladybugladybug, speaking as a recent Maui visitor who also is located on the east coast (Florida) and is subject to the 6 hour time change, taking the later flight (9:30pm) will be WORTH IT! As stated, most hotels will give you either a late check out or at least let you use a room to shower and change if you should use the pool or beach during your extra time. Just about all hotels will store your bags until later.

My wife always gets the doldrums when we leave a vacation early in the morning. This time, she was thrilled that we had practically a WHOLE day to continue our fun in the sun. We did some more swimming, shopping and general sight seeing. By the time we grabbed our bags, virtually a full day had passed. So instead of a 10 night trip it was more like a 11 night trip. It makes for a more complete trip.

Also, if you are doing multiple islands, I would suggest scheduling your interisland flight for later (1:00pm - 3:00pm) so that you can stretch the day. We left Oahu for Maui on Sunday morning at 10:30am, but I wish we could have left later and enjoyed several more hours on the island because the earliest we could check in Maui was 3:00pm. A few hours can make a WORLD of differenc.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Well, you all talked me into it! ;)

ms_soup -- Thanks so much for your suggestion of the sunset cocktail cruise. I actually had that in mind already from reading your trip report! Having dinner at Mama's Fish House before heading to the airport is another possibility that we're considering assuming that we can figure out the changing for / changing after logistics. I definitely want to do something special like you did -- I love the idea of having that last wonderful Maui memory to savor all the way home! :)

Dewtrell -- I've read so many of your past posts in my searches of the forum and have saved tons of your suggestions / questions. Nice to finally have a change to say 'hi' to you! :)

rocdoc5 -- I agree that it'll be worth it! Only once in the past have I regretted scheduling a later flight home from a vacation and can't imagine that this would be one of those times! We'll probably snorkel in the morning so we'll have time to shower before we need to check out of our cottage. I'm not sure when exactly we need to be checked out by though since we're not staying in a hotel. We're just assuming that it'll be 11 AM-ish and making our plans accordingly so that any extra time is a bonus. We are doing multiple islands [Big Island and Maui], but we scheduled our interisland flight for in the morning so that we'd have most of the day to spend on Maui. The cottage owners estimated of how long it'd take to get our bags, pick up the rental car and drive to the cottage so we should be able to get settled right away. I can't wait! :)