We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with dolphins?

Phoenix
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Swimming with dolphins?

Where can you swim with the dolphins in Maui? Thanx!!!!!

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with dolphins?

No place. Keeping dolphins or other cetaceans in captivity is illegal on Maui.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with dolphins?

As it should be world wide.

Aliso Viejo, CA
Level Contributor
242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming with dolphins?

Take this snorkel trip. They go around Lanai to 3 or 4 spots for snorkeling. One or 2 of the snorkel spots are areas where dolphins hang out. This is as close as you will get, other than a trip to Seaworld.

Aliso Viejo, CA
Level Contributor
242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with dolphins?

Sorry, here is the link http://www.hawaiioceanrafting.com/index.html

Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with dolphins?

Pappy, Amen.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming with dolphins?

The Big Island has it at the Hilton Waikoloa, I think it's on Oahu as well... just not Maui.

PA/USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming with dolphins?

I am going to be swimming with them in Oahu at the Kahala Mandarin Orientel hotel. I dont know of any place in Maui either. Sorry

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,482 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming with dolphins?

According to the marine mammal act you have to stay 100 yards away from ANY marine mammal.

If you really have to swim with the dolphins then do so with the Atlantic Bottlenose ones they keep penned up at dolphin quest...I am sure they love being there and seeing thousands of visitors come swim in their home.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming with dolphins?

WOW! Didn't know it was such a sore subject...If it matters at all, this is not for me but a client of mine. Don't kill the messenger :)

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming with dolphins?

You can't do it on Maui, but as has been indicated, you can do it at the Dolphin Quest park on the Big Island.

Here's the link:

dolphinquest.org/destinations/…

It is a somewhat touchy issue with many people. Personally (and as someone who's actually done the Dolphin Quest thing - on Moorea in French Polynesia), I find it to be a double-edged sword. While it is true that these animals are higly intellegent and may very well not enjoy being captive, I think it's also true that existance of places like Dolphin Quest, Marineland, and Sea Life Park (where dolphins/porposes are kept in captivity) have played in vital role in helping the public develop such affection for and appreciation of the animals. Keep in mind that if you went back just a few decades, that these animals were being killed in large numbers. Public outrage - sparked to a large degree by the personal experience people had with these creatures at the parks I've mentioned (and others like them) - cut those losses dramatically. Places like Dolphin Quest helped mold the publics' positive opinion of the animals in the same way that it's done it with orcas.

Having said all that, it is true that you can argue with some degree of validity, that "OK, the places did help build up the publics' interest in and affection for dolphins/porposes, but we're past that point now and it's time to stop these practices". I'm not quite sure whether that statement is accurate or not, but it may well be.

Anyway, that's my take in it.

Ken