We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cross your fingers and toe and shoot up a prayer for me...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cross your fingers and toe and shoot up a prayer for me...

Maybe, big maybe, Hubby will be called to Honolulu soon, maybe over the 4th of July. I would be able to go back and renew my tan. And I have Mack's great Oahu trip report! I actually like Oahu, just not Waikiki. Oh, I hope this works out!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Cross your fingers and toe and shoot up a prayer for me...

I love the way this foru reflects the aloha spirit of the place we love so much. Hale, I'm glad Jeeper gets to meet yo but I wish I could come too! But next time fo' sure.

Jeeper- didn't meant to diss Wakiki but chico had mentioned her distaste for it so I was trying to put on a positive spin, And there IS some great people watching to be done in the area- plus the weather's great and the beach is so accessible and calm.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Cross your fingers and toe and shoot up a prayer for me...

Hi Mack. I like Waikiki ok. It is overrun by people spending too much money!!! I like the rest of the island better. I hope this works out for us. Any good meal suggestions from your recent trip? I guess we should take the answer to the Oahu forum.

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Cross your fingers and toe and shoot up a prayer for me...

chicogirl, there is a similar buiding supply thrift store in victoria b.c. where i used to live. it is called "the rusty nail". i love the name.

we got a free one on molokai, it is called the landfill! lol

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Cross your fingers and toe and shoot up a prayer for me...

Yeah, we are just spoiled by having all the nuts and bolts and what-not sorted into bins, they don't provide that service at the landfill!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Cross your fingers and toe and shoot up a prayer for me...

CHico, if you like Thai food, go to Mekong II. It's out of Waikiki a little, on S. King st. Just a small local place with out of this world Thai food- I even like it better than what we get here. Try the sweet crispy noodles as a starter.

And for a double bill, head up Kapahulu and have some Hawaiian food at Ono Hawaiian food (another hole in the wall) then follow it with some fresh hot malasadas from Leonard's bakery!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Cross your fingers and toe and shoot up a prayer for me...

Mahalo, mucho mahalo - mmmm love Thai food. Love local food. Love Vietnamese food. love all food. Great references, thank you so much!

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Cross your fingers and toe and shoot up a prayer for me...

Chico! much luck and crossed eyes (er, toes) here. hope you get to go. would be so cool.

hale: what a wonderful post! you reminded me of my cousin. My cousin Clifford Christensen was a military man in Hawaii a few years. had an asian wife and a child. he went AWOL on the islands. we had heard he was on the streets, he totally went under the radar, (I suppose to not be found by the MPs) - we hired a private eye, he spent tons of our family money and found nothing.

we just heard a few months ago that he was found dead on a beach somewhere there (we don't know which island or which beach). I got the email April from his sister and they said they had found him 2-3 months ago. I contacted the star bulletin trying to get a copy of the news story, they directed me to the police, and so far I got no response. I guess I gave it up when I went to Hawaii cause I totally forgot to check while I was there.

any ideas where I could start again or if I should even try? his brothers and sister do not want to try anything else themselves. I am sure they burnt out years ago trying to contact him.

anyway, thanks for letting me share.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Cross your fingers and toe and shoot up a prayer for me...

Chico! much luck and crossed eyes (er, toes) here. hope you get to go. would be so cool.

hale: what a wonderful post! you reminded me of my cousin. My cousin Clifford Christensen was a military man in Hawaii a few years. had an asian wife and a child. he went AWOL on the islands. we had heard he was on the streets, he totally went under the radar, (I suppose to not be found by the MPs) - we hired a private eye, he spent tons of our family money and found nothing.

we just heard a few months ago that he was found dead on a beach somewhere there (we don't know which island or which beach). I got the email April from his sister and they said they had found him 2-3 months ago. I contacted the star bulletin trying to get a copy of the news story, they directed me to the police, and so far I got no response. I guess I gave it up when I went to Hawaii cause I totally forgot to check while I was there.

any ideas where I could start again or if I should even try? his brothers and sister do not want to try anything else themselves. I am sure they burnt out years ago trying to contact him.

anyway, thanks for letting me share.