We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Revealed - Nahiku

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Revealed - Nahiku

We just returned from 16 days on Maui. It was fabulous but I have a request of those who use and read Maui Revealed.

In 2005 I purchased the book and used it when we went to Maui in 2006. At that time we followed the road down to the coastline through the village of Nahiku. The views were spectacular and we loved it.

This time we again took the road down to the coastline. We were nearly at the bottom when we came across a dead end sign. There were two roads so we thought it was for the road to the right and we turned left as we had remembered from 2006. We then found another dead end sign and another sign saying to use the road at our own risk. We decided to turn around and not go there. Shortly after turning around we came upon an elderly lady out walking her dog. She said to us "Please stay out, this is not a highway" It is very clear that the people of the village do not want tourists by the car load coming through their village each day.

We felt very bad about going down the road and also felt very bad that such an elderly lady found it necessary to say this to us. I just hope everyone that reads this will remember what I have said and what the elderly lady said to us. Please don't disturb the peaceful calm of this tiny little village even though Maui Revealed encourages you to do so. Thanks.

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Revealed - Nahiku

You sure it was Nahiku and not Wailua Town? I've never heard anyone who had problem with folks visiting Nahiku Landing. But I do know several folks rather like Wailua being 'off the map.' Residents there typically do not like visitors; and more and more folks head down that way to see Waikani Falls (the larger falls just downstream of Upper Waikani (3 Bears) falls).

Most all authors write about Nahiku Landing though, myself included. And I'm usually pretty conscientious about that sort of thing. Just curious if we are in fact talking about Nahiku.

Mahalo.

NJ
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Revealed - Nahiku

I wonder how that would effect tourists who just drive around the island without using a guidebook??

There were many times when I just drove around enjoying the incredible sights and flavor of Maui.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Revealed - Nahiku

JCDerrick: It was definitely Nahiku. We had been there before in 2006.

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Revealed - Nahiku

Interesting. Nahiku doesn't receive a lot of traffic and unlike the issues on Ula`ino Road, there aren't any private property issues with the Landing. It's unfortunate you had that experience there.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Revealed - Nahiku

I have been there twice with absolutely no negative comments. The traffic flow is minimal. It is quiet and undisturbed and after all isn't that part of why we keep going back to Maui? I'm going back in July and Nahiku is definitely on my agenda as part of my Hana trip.

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Revealed - Nahiku

To be sure, I checked again about the property at the end. It IS State owned land. I know plenty of residents in Hana who always encourage folks to stop by the landing.

hawaii-guide.com/tripadvisor/Nahiku_Map.jpg

That above is the major landowners property map. The blank areas are private land owners.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Revealed - Nahiku

It's also mentioned in the Hana Highway Mile by Mile guidebook. Probably mentioned in many books not just Maui Revealed.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Revealed - Nahiku

Back in October Kaikane and his buddies went out to Nahiku to do some fishing. They never did fish there. They said the place was wall to wall rental cars, coming, going, parked, speeding up and down Nahiku Road. They turned around and went elsewhere. He did not say anything about any signs then, but based on his report I can see why the neighbors would close off access. People who live in quite rural places like this live there because they enjoy a quiet rural lifestyle. Having hundreds of visitors come through each day kind of contradicts this.

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Revealed - Nahiku

Understandably so. I'll make note to adjust our wording on the location next time we update. Nahiku Road isn't meant to cater to the masses.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
686 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Revealed - Nahiku

These are direct quotes from the Frommer's Maui guide:

"At one time this was a thriving village of thousands, today the population has dwindled to fewer than a hundred - including a few Hawaiian families, but mostly extremely wealthy mainland residents who jet in for a few weeks at a time to their luxurious vacation homes."

"...Nahiku was forgotten until the 1980's, when multimillionaires "discovered" the remote and stunningly beautiful area."

So now even the tourists don't want tourists around, this is getting ridiculous. There has to be some way that a middle ground can be achieved between the desire of tourists to take in the beauty of the island and the private property rights of residents. I don't know if what this guide book says about the town's population is true, but if it is, I am sure these "multimillionaires" have driven down this road in the past, (how else would they have known about the beautiful location of their future home!), now that they live there though, the road should be off-limits.