We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping at Walmart in Maui

USA
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Shopping at Walmart in Maui

Can anyone tell me if the Walmart in Maui is similar in prices to Walmart's on the mainland? I'm trying to figure out if I should pack such items as sunscreen and other sundries or just buy them there.

Thank you.

Carol

Maui Charms
Gift & Specialty Shops
Kihei Farmer's Market
Flea & Street Markets
Whalers Fine Jewellery
Gift & Specialty Shops
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Shopping at Walmart in Maui

We are buying them there on Maui. But we just went to Mart not Walmart last time. I would like to know the same thing. Actually K Mart was more expensive than ABC stores and Long's.

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Shopping at Walmart in Maui

Aloha Carolin,

Yes the Walmart in Maui has prices comparable to the prices on the mainland as does Costco. They are both very close to the airport.

Hawthorn Woods, IL
Level Contributor
124 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: Shopping at Walmart in Maui

We always stop at Walmart as we leave the airport. We buy bottled water, basic snacks etc. that are so pricey at the resorts. We also buy boogie boards for the kids to use during our trip. You can buy them at Walmart for $10-$20 and we have them for the whole trip. At then end of the trip, we just look for a family at our hotel who looks like they're just arriving and give them our boards. It beats the $15 per day rental price and most resorts and we just don't want to deal with trying to lug them home on the plane. If you have young children, buying a few inexpensive sand toys will also make your beach time lots of fun. With the new airline weight and luggage restrictions it just makes sense to purchase this stuff on the island. The souvenier section at Walmart also has great prices and it's basically the same stuff you'll see in more expensive gift shops round the island.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Shopping at Walmart in Maui

The Walmart there is also a GREAT place to buy Hawaiian clothes and souvenirs!

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
44 posts
5. Re: Shopping at Walmart in Maui

We're not renting a car right away, does anyone know if the local bus goes up to Walmart. Also how easy is it to get a cab to get back to the hotel. BTW we're staying at the Westin Resort.

USA
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Shopping at Walmart in Maui

Thank you for the responses to my question. Our suitcases will be a little lighter now that we know we have a Wal-Mart to buy the essentials once we arrive in Maui . Counting the days! :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Shopping at Walmart in Maui

Is the Walmart by airport a regular Walmart or SuperWalmart where you can pick up groceries as well?

Also, is this the only Walmart on Maui or is there one in Kihei area?

Missouri
Level Contributor
784 posts
1 review
8. Re: Shopping at Walmart in Maui

I wait until I get to Maui to buy sunscreen. I buy it at ABC store. They usually have some brand on sale and sometimes I find it cheaper than at home.

Last year a couple came by the pool and gave us all their sunscreen and suntan oil. They were leaving and didn't want to pack it!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: Shopping at Walmart in Maui

I believe the only Walmart is in Kahului and it is NOT a Superwalmart. But they do have great prices on snacks, softdrinks, milk, cereal and gift items.

Its location: As you are leaving the airport, you'll head west on Dairy Rd with the rest of the crowd. You'll pass a large strip mall with a Burger King and Borders book store. Once past the mall, you'll turn left at the next light. There is a car/motorcyle sales rental place on your left. Walmart is right across the street from Home Depot.

The rest of your groceries can be bought at Safeway in Kihei.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
21 reviews
10. Re: Shopping at Walmart in Maui

jjan47, also, get a Safeway card at the service desk so you can save some money off the regular outrageous prices.