We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Of My Best Maui Experiences

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
One Of My Best Maui Experiences

Without a doubt, my best Maui experience was going to the free program offered by Clifford Nae'ole at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua. This program was about the history of Hawaii, an area that I realized I didn't know that much about. It was so moving. Mr. Nae'ole offers this to the public every Tues and Friday at 10 a.m. I'd encourage everyone to attend - it gives new insight into the island. Here's an overview from a web site:

As one of the first hotels to embrace Hawaiian culture, the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua employs a full-time cultural advisor, Clifford Nae'ole, to lead twice weekly Sense of Place encounters. The session begins with the moving film, Then There Were None, which describes the sad displacement of ancient Hawaiians and their culture, Nae'ole shares with guests his knowledge and history of the island, and the property's Honokahua Preservation Site, which was unearthed when digging began for the hotel. As the significance of the discovery became apparent, the entire hotel was redesigned and moved inland. The mound, which contains more than 2,000 ancient Hawaiian burials dating between 610 and 1800 A.D., has been recognized as a sacred site, for Hawaiians believe that from such a place ancestor spirits continue to lovingly watch over the land and its people. Nae'ole, a Hawaiian chanter, hula dancer and president of the statewide Native Hawaiian Hospitality Association, leads guests on a walking tour of this 13 acre site, where red ti leaf-lined pathways dotted with plumeria blossoms and bougainvillea lead to the sacred rolling lawns.

archive.mauitime.com/v05iss21/feat.html

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Of My Best Maui Experiences

The best things are always free anren't they? Especially when they are educating.

Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One Of My Best Maui Experiences

Winter, thank you so much for posting this, I copied it and put it in our "next time in Maui" folder. How did you happen to find out about it or were you staying there? I wish I had read about this before we went in May.

*Big Sigh*

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Of My Best Maui Experiences

MauihereICome - I'm not really sure how I found out about it....you know you pick up tidbits here and there and this was just one one them. I really didn't even give all the information above. You see the film inside and then Mr. Naeole takes questions and justs talks. He talks about growing up on the islands and his experiences. He also had friends there who talked about what it was like. It was so insightful, so educational. He then invited us out to the burial ground where we spent even more time. We were there on a wonderful day for this event. There were about 30 Mori (am I spelling that right? From New Zealand?) teens and young adults visiting and he had prepared a traditional Hawaiian feast for them and invited us along. Essentially, we spent the day with them, learning about the similarities between New Zealand and Hawaii cultures.

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Of My Best Maui Experiences

One more thing. Got home from Hawaii on a Friday, turned on Travel Channel on Sunday morning and there was Clifford Naeole talking about this program. So, if I had not learned about program in advance, I would have only found out about it on the tv program after I got back.

Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One Of My Best Maui Experiences

Winter, did you ever see the movie the Whale Rider? Its a fascinating movie that has the Mori tribespeople as its central theme. We loved the movie so much we bought it. I highly reccomend renting it. ( the young girl in it was up for an academy award several years ago and I believe that she, like most of the others in the movie, were raised in that culture. )