We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private road connecting Wailea (hwy31) with upcountry(hwy37)

lakeville
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Private road connecting Wailea (hwy31) with upcountry(hwy37)

I've allready done alot of research on this, and everything i read tells me that there is no public road that connects these hwys. I have however read that there is a private 4wd road about 3 miles long that does connect them. Can anyone tell me if they have seen this private road that is closed to the public? It seems silly that no road connecting these hwys would be open to the public when only 3 miles seperates the two.

I'm staying in the wailea/makena area and want to know where exactly this private road is.

I realize most people will tell me the road is not open to the public and i cannot use it.

If this is the case so be it, I just want to see it for myself.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,587 posts
312 reviews
1. Re: Private road connecting Wailea (hwy31) with upcountry(hwy37)

As you drive into Wailea, the highway turns right and heads down to the sea. Just at the turn, what would have been a road if it had been opened would have ended. It used to just have signs and barricades and it looked like a power line right of way (no road); now they seem to have landscaped it at the makai terminus so it's hard to see and impassable.

So...no road and not much to see. Give up.

Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
2. Re: Private road connecting Wailea (hwy31) with upcountry(hwy37)

Think maybe he is referring to something else Honu..

I believe you are speaking of the long-proposed Piilani Highway extension through the Wailea 670 holding (controversy and-a-half), just past Maui Meadows where the road turns into Wailea.

I think he is referring to the old jeep trail which used to run from Ulupalakua directly downslope to Polo Beach at the south end of Wailea. It used to connect with the Kihei-Makena Beach Road (or Wailea Alanui) just past the end of the Fairmont Ke Lani holding by the Polo Beach Condos.

The jeep track has been closed for at least 10 to 15 years now (maybe longer, but I'm getting old), and doesn't even exist in the lower elevations any more as it is ow under a golf course. And, without use, the upland sections are probably overgrown and impassable as well.

In any case, this was absolutely no "road" for tourists, even a lot of locals wouldn't go on it, and required a tough 4X4 vehicle in its last years when zero effort went into maintaining it.

Not for the faint of heart, particularly coming downslope in the rain (think skiing in a jeep).

Keep faith though Nick, they have been planning a State Highway connecting the two for about 6 or 8 years now, and heck, they may even complete it before we all die.

lakeville
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Private road connecting Wailea (hwy31) with upcountry(hwy37)

Just doesnt make sense that there wouldn't be road connecting the two when we can practicly see one from the other.

I read recenty on virtualtourist.com that there is a road connecting the two and some older maps show it, but however it is private with a locked gate that only few have a key for.

About 4 years ago when you could still go all the way around on the road to Hana, my wife took the trip around, but were frustrated when we had to go all the way upcountry and back through kahalui to get to wailea, when just an hour before we or only 3 miles away and could practicly see our hotel.

Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
4. Re: Private road connecting Wailea (hwy31) with upcountry(hwy37)

Nicke...

Above the Wailea 670 and Makena Resort holdings are the Ulupalakua Ranch lands. There are numerous ranch tracks along the flanks of Haleakala in this area which are passable, but they are all gated and locked (most in several places) as it is still considered a working cattle ranch.

And to say they would not appreciate you trespassing is an understatement. If something has a locked gate it is definitely kapu unless you have been given a key.

You would somehow have to go several miles south (past Makena) or blaze a trail down the Highway extension area Honu referred to in order to access any Ranch road that leads Upcountry. Or, probably go through someone's backyard in the Maui Meadows subdivision to reach the old trail.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: Private road connecting Wailea (hwy31) with upcountry(hwy37)

Relax and enjoy the views that you get going around through Upcountry. You are on vacation.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,587 posts
312 reviews
6. Re: Private road connecting Wailea (hwy31) with upcountry(hwy37)

If you want to see where the 670 tract is see

savemakena.org/images/GPAC/DevProj200707_Sou…

and yes, that is the non-extension I meant. "Wailea Gateway" on the url map is the turn.

Old USGS maps pre 1990 do show a jeep road coming down...part of that mesh of old ranch roads. Since we used to stay at the Prince in he early 90s befoire they built the new golf courses, I used to fantasize about walking up them :-)

And PS to amberloo, Surety said no, no, no.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Private road connecting Wailea (hwy31) with upcountry(hwy37)

Hwy 31 used to be connected to the Kula Hwy by way of the Kealakapi road 4.7 miles in length. I think you can still find the section off of the Kula Hwy with a locked gate part way down the road.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Private road connecting Wailea (hwy31) with upcountry(hwy37)

Nickel, if you already done extensive research on this subject, why are you asking for restuarant reviews in a populated area like Wailea? just curious. I believe Honu has your answer on the restaurant reviews and this issue as well.

just asking...

Lancaster PA
1 post
9. Re: Private road connecting Wailea (hwy31) with upcountry(hwy37)

As another posted mentioned, I see a road, Kealakapi Rd., on www.usatf.org/routes, about 5 miles long from 31 to 37, but on the satellite view it looks very washed out, probably not passable with a car. However, does anyone know if it is "public" and if a runner or mtn. biker could take this road?

Thanks,

Chester

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,650 posts
59 reviews
10. Re: Private road connecting Wailea (hwy31) with upcountry(hwy37)

Chester, the "road" doesn't really exist, no matter what the map says.