We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

papaya in season?

Northern California
3 posts
Save Topic
papaya in season?

My family and I will be in Kihei over the 4th of July weekend. Have been to Maui in spring and fall but this is the first time we'll be there in summer. I am addicted to Hawaiian papayas and have found them on Kauai at 5/$1. Will I be able to find papayas at the farmer's markets at this time of year? Thanks for all the interesting posts, especially where to find the best shave ice stands...

Sparwood, B.C.
Level Contributor
552 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: papaya in season?

All this talk about swap meets reminds me to ask about farmer's markets or are they the same thing? If not, when are the farmer's markets in the Lahaina area?

Northern California
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: papaya in season?

When I'm visiting the islands, my day always starts with at least one papaya liberally sprinkled with lime. I like the small yellow and strawberry ones, and usually the best deals I've found are at fruit stands or swap meet/farmer's markets. I'm very happy to hear that mangos are in season now, we'll have a mango papaya breakfasts everyday! I've bought Hawaiian papayas on the mainland and they are just not the same - must be the tradewinds and tropical sun. What types of mangos are available now? Are they similar to the Manila mangos (small flat and yellow) or more reddish green and oval (usually from Mexico)?

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: papaya in season?

small very sweet ones, here they call them the local kine mango. they were the earliest ones to get ripe and fall from trees onto cars and sidewalks, starting every april. next come the big ones, i think hayden mango, getting ripe starting in may. different ones keep coming til august. it seems that each island has some unique varieties. i get unflavored yogurt and have that with mango, or combine papaya, mango, banana and make smoothies. i also see them for sale in stores while we go behind the buildings and pick them off the ground.

Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: papaya in season?

Mangos are 99 cents a piece here!

Northern California
3 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: papaya in season?

My brother told me when he was in Maui 2 years ago there was a bakery in Kihei that makes mango scones but you have to order one day ahead. This bakery is also known for their cinnamon buns. Does anyone know the name of it? Can't wait to try all the different varieties of mangos...only 14 more days to go!