We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rash guards

California
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
rash guards

are rash gaurds nessicary? because i am interested in taking surfing lessons but i am wondering- is the rash guard that is supplied all gross and smelly? should i just buy my own? and if so where is the cheapest place to find one?

I KU MAU MAU
Level Contributor
788 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: rash guards

Rash guards aren't absolutely necessary. They're basically worn to protect against the UV rays and to prevent the rash. Personally, since it's worn skin tight I wouldn't want to use anybody else's. If you do buy your own, they run about $25 - $30 on average. Honolua Surf, Tropix, even Costco and Walmart get some!

California
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rash guards

thank you! my mom looked at walmart in our town and told me she saw some for about 15$ so i might just get that!

Maui
Level Contributor
399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: rash guards

Plenty of my friends surf in their bikinis. But the rashguard does prevent chafing of your stomach and arms against the board, and keeps you from getting exposed if your top comes loose in the waves, and best of all it makes you look like a cool surfer chick. (I *think* you're a girl, if I remember right..?)

California
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rash guards

thanx for the info. i am a girl and i think i will buy one so i dont have to use the gross one that the company provides!

I KU MAU MAU
Level Contributor
788 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rash guards

Go for the one at Walmart for $15. If it turns out you really like using it or plan to continue surfing, check out the local shops here - Honolua Surf, Maui Tropix, Local Motion for more. They have different styles and patterns. But they will be more expensive than Walmarts. You go, girl! Have a great time!

: -)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rash guards

Too bad she won't wear her sisters. It does not match her swim suits.

Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: rash guards

Thats what you get for not taking it with you when you bought her bathing suits! Its the law that girls under 18 must ALWAYS match!

LA/OC
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: rash guards

(Gotta love Kawena's sense of humor!) LOL...

No rash guards aren't necessary or manditory. Back in the days when I first surfed, there was no such specialty accessory thing. We used Hanes white undershirts over our bikini tops! And then we discovered that it really had everything to do with the type and brand of surfboard wax that you were using! Since then and including today I only use coconut scented wax.

hope this helps...

California
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: rash guards

since im not a serious surfer and have yet to even come in contact with one, i dont think i really understand the wax thing! ok- bright blue/turquoius rash gaurd-black and pink polkadot swim suit or dark green and pink hibiscus swimsuit! they do not match watsoever and if i want to look like a cute surfer shick the getup has got to match!

California
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: rash guards

surfer- i would def. buy ur own! and i think my mom has gotten confused and is thinking that u r her daughter! dido on the looking like a cute surfer chick!