We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone with firsthand experience with the Keiki Lani?

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone with firsthand experience with the Keiki Lani?

That's the child's activity club at the Kea Lani (where we're staying for a week next month). We've never left our children (Kindergardeners) with a hotel babysitting service but have read good things about this one online and are considering it so we can get a round in at Wailea together one day... Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
chicago
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone with firsthand experience with the Keiki Lani?

We just returned from a wonderful stay at the Kea Lani. Our son is only 16 months old so he was too young to participate in the club activities. I can tell you that the club looked like lots of fun. The kids seemed to be in good hands. You will really appreciate the kindness and friendliness of the Kea Lani staff. We used the Nanny Connection for a few evenings out and were very pleased. There were several families we got friendly with that used the service during the day. I never heard a complaint. Each of the girls I met was nicer than the next. I felt the service did a good job of matching the sitters with kids of different ages, interests, and needs. I hope this helps. If you need any other info on the Kea Lani, feel free to ask. We had an amazing vacation. Aloha

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone with firsthand experience with the Keiki Lani?

Fabulous, mburns! My main concern is my 6 year old - he's Autistic and I worry about how he'd do in a setting with dozens (and dozens!) of children and just one person overseeing them... Do you recall seeing or hearing how big the groups were? Do they limit them to a certain number of children? Too - I'm worried about water activities. I'm pretty over-protective and not yet comfortable with the thought of a stranger (no matter how nice) taking my kids swimming. They've had lessons but they're far from Olympic swimmers at 5 and 6!

How did your 16 month old do on the trip? I'd love to hear more about your stay! We leave on the 21st of June and will be at the Kea Lani for a week. I've heard nothing but good things about it!

chicago
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone with firsthand experience with the Keiki Lani?

I think the group size really depends upon how many kids are signed up on a given day. There were several adults with the children that we saw. Once school is over the hotel will certainly become more crowded. I think you ought to use the Nanny Connection for daytime sitting since you can guarantee that the person will only be caring for your kids. I know that many of the sitters are teachers. They probably have one who has experience with kids who have special needs. I taught first grade for 13 years before becoming a mom. I know how tough it is to trust someone new with your kids. My husband and I both brought our cell phones with us so we could give one to the nanny. This way we could call each other no matter where we were. As far as swimming goes, I guess some of the nannies are trained in lifesaving, etc. (some will not take the kids to the pool at all). It is your choice to let them go in the water with her or not. Also, I wrote a post for the Kea Lani that isn't on yet. I guess it takes a few days. I can email it to you or cut and paste it on here if you like. Let me know. :)

chicago
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone with firsthand experience with the Keiki Lani?

Hi, I'm back. My son did really well on the trip. Thank goodness for portable dvd players. I packed a bag with lots of little toys and books he hadn't yet seen and a few of his favorites. (Many airplanes now have electronic ports so long battery life isn't an issue. Check out seatguru.com to see if your seats have one. GREAT website.) The combo of both new and old toys seemed to work well. We also brought our own food on the plane, since they no longer serve anything...except snacks for $5. The time change was challenging for all of us since we came all the way from Chicago. During daylight savings it is a 5 hour difference. We kept him up as long as we could the first day. After that, we put him right on the new time. He certainly had some early wake-ups and missed a few dinners (sleeping in the stroller), but all in all he was great. Lots of swimming and fresh air will wear any of them out.

Although we have a great aquarium here in Chicago, we decided to check out Maui Ocean Center. Your kids will love it. Sharks, rays, great coral reef exhibits, tide pools, jellyfish...every kids' fantasy. They have a great website. At the concierge desk you can get passes for a free gift at the shop. Maybe they'll even have discount passes. It never hurts to ask.

Just a side note - the pool rents out rafts for a pretty hefty fee. You can buy your own in Kihei at Longs or Safeway for next to nothing.

Also, I think you mentioned golf. If you join the Fairmont President's Club I think you get free use of some fancy clubs. Find out. :)

You'll be happy to know that the buffet is free for kids. Yummyyyy!

Oh, this is really cute! At 9:00 am everyday, the kids can feed the fish in the koi pond. Great photo op and lots of fun, too.

Hope this info helps. Aloha

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone with firsthand experience with the Keiki Lani?

Hi, Im Confused. Did Mburns only go to Maui for 6 minutes?

Sorry, Im still laughing and I just know that no one will get what I am talking about!!

chicago
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone with firsthand experience with the Keiki Lani?

you mean 12 hours and six minutes ;)

Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone with firsthand experience with the Keiki Lani?

Geesh, I cant even subtract, I should have said five minutes and it still wont make sense. LOL

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone with firsthand experience with the Keiki Lani?

Thanks for the note and the info, mburns!

We plan on checking out the aquarium on day 4 or 5 of our trip... We have a rental car for only the last 3 days so we're planning on doing that, the Sugar Cane Train in Lahaina (my 6 year old LOVES trains) and maybe the Maui Tropical Plantation.

We are Presidents' Club members and I have read that they offer rental golf clubs at some locations but my husband and I are die-hards - we pretty much always travel with our own sticks. ;)

I hadn't heard about the koi pond! My kids will be SO excited to learn that they can feed the fish! Thanks so much for the heads-up on that one! Is it easy to find on the property?

I love that seatguru.com! I heard about it on FoxNews recently and have checked out the plane we'll be flying there in.

My husband won one of those portable DVD players at a golf tournament a few months ago and I was all set to sell it on eBay (hah!). I'm so glad we didn't! We've used it on a few Disney trips (in rooms that didn't have VCR's or DVD players) and it's been great. I was pleased to learn that they could be used on the plane. I've purchased a few new movies and toys for them to play with on the plane - I didn't think about bringing any familiar ones (figuring the new stuff would interest them more) but it might not be a bad idea...

I'm curious to see how the time change affects them. Save for the tee times and 2 spa treatment appointments for me, we don't have to do anything or be anywhere at any specific time so we're planning on just going with the flow and seeing what happens. If they wake up at their usual (PST) time, we could end up seeing the sunrise every morning - haha - not exactly a bad thing when you're on Maui, right?!

I wish we could get this airline seating thing worked out before we left but, other than that, I'm getting really excited. The kids are too - it'll be their first time to Hawaii - first time on a plane! I know that it'll be a great memory-making trip for both of them!

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone with firsthand experience with the Keiki Lani?

BTW mburns - I think your hotel review might be up on this site! I noticed a new one this morning (Mom of a 16-month old!) - loved reading it and can't wait to write one of my own!

Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone with firsthand experience with the Keiki Lani?

OnlineMom, I'd be interested in hearing how your children do on the actual flight and their adjustment to the time difference. I have a 5 and a 7 year old, going in August, and am wondering how they'll take the long flight and how many days it will take for them to adjust. We're getting married the 2nd day after we arrive and are hoping the kids will be OK. They can get pretty cranky when sleep deprived. Hope things work out for the seating arrangements on the plane too! Have fun!