We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Diving: Advanced open water certification!

California
Level Contributor
907 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Diving: Advanced open water certification!

I'm interested in taking an Advanced open water certification class before I go to Maui (only 5 weeks remaining). Sounds like I would get a taste of 5 different dive certification options.

I would do a dive in each of these 5 specialty areas (these dives also count toward the first dive in achieving a Specialty rating in each of the activities you dive). These dives include the required core dives of Deep Diving and Underwater Navigation. There are several optional diving specialties such as Boat Diver, Night Diver, Underwater Naturalist, Enriched Air Diver, Dry Suit Diver and more that will be customized to meet the logistical and desired needs of the students.

Now, I haven't talked to the Dive shop, and I will, but I wanted to get some of your opinions about what you know regarding Advanced certification.

I would probably be most interested in learning dives that are technical in nature, such as Deep diving, Night diving, enriched Air diver, and Underwater navigation.

I'm not interested in Dry-suit as a wetsuit works fine for Northern California, and Underwater Naturalist seems more scholastic than technical. I'm not sure what a Boat Diver is.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Scuba Diving: Advanced open water certification!

You should have tethered him to an anchor like you do your son.

California
Level Contributor
907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Scuba Diving: Advanced open water certification!

How long are you guys normaly down for before you run out of air? I was looking at a dive in Maui, and they mention it is a 20-30 minute dive in 40 - 65 feet of water. Seems like a short dive.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Scuba Diving: Advanced open water certification!

Air consumption is directly related to depth.

I did a dive to 115 feet last Friday night here in Puget Sound. We were at depth for 12 minutes and headed back up. The total dive including out safety stop lasted 48 minutes. This was with a steel 95.

The best I have done on a tank is 58 minutes and that was at a max of 42 feet.

With the aluminum 80's that the tour boats use you will get less bottom time simply because there is less air available.

Air consumption is a factor of proper training and experience and I still have a ways to go but it is not often that I can't get at least 45 minutes out of a 95

California
Level Contributor
907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Scuba Diving: Advanced open water certification!

I would get 45 minutes all the time. That is why I'm a little shocked that they said a dive would be as little as 20 minutes. I'll have to talk with the dive operators more.

Have any of you dived Molikini before? They said the dive would be on the edge of the crater at 40 - 65 feet. Is this a good dive? I will be out there on a family snorkel trip. I was going to dive while my family snorkeled on top.

When they talk about the edge of the crater, I assuming the inside of the crater. Do you think my assumption is correct?

Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Scuba Diving: Advanced open water certification!

Ventureman,

I saw scuba divers when we were snorkeling there and they seemed concentrated under the very south end of the front of the crater in about 30 feet of water....but that was just one observation.

California
Level Contributor
907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Scuba Diving: Advanced open water certification!

I'm very excited aout SCUBA in warm water. Can't wait!

Austin, Tx
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: Scuba Diving: Advanced open water certification!

If you want to dive, I would recommend going on a dive boat. The Molokini dive trips don't offer much better than the snorkeling, in my opinion. The water is so clear, you can see everything from above, and unlike a dive boat, they do cut you off at a certain amount of time, as opposed to air supply. My friends that dove at Molokini only got about a 30 minute dive, and they didn't see any more than I did from above.

YMMV.

California
Level Contributor
907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Scuba Diving: Advanced open water certification!

I went to an equipment presentation by a ScubaPro representative at one of the dive stores near me (there are 3). It was very informative, and quickly brought me up to date. He gave away a couple of regulators, which was real cool, and a couple of gift certificates.

I was looking around at the masks, snorkels, and fins at the dive store and didn't think many of them looked any better made or fitting than the BodyGlove Professional series (warm water fitted fin, dry snorkel). My current equipment is tried and true. ScubaPro jet fins and fairly short unobstructed snorkel. The true test will be when I snorkel and dive down 30 feet.

I may be like Pappy and end up with a multitude of failed equipment hanging on my walls.