We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving the Hana road backwards?

New Hartford, NY
5 posts
Save Topic
Driving the Hana road backwards?

My husband and I are traveling to oahu and maui from July 4th through the 12th. VERY VERY excited. I have been reading posted topics for awhile and have found them sooooo helpful. We have everything pretty well planned, but we're wondering about the road to hana. I know, I know start early, early early. Now, can we start backwards and get to hana earlier, avoid trafffic, etc. or is it not as good. I was also thinking we could then maybe make it to the crater for sunset. Am I dreaming or is this a good idea and possible? We have the maui revealed book. Can we still follow this if we start backwards? Are there any must see places they fail to mention? We are pretty active people so adventure is good.

Thanks in advance and I'm sure I will have more questions as it gets closer.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving the Hana road backwards?

We had some friends that did that, they really enjoyed themselves. I don't see why you couldn't. Hmm...maybe we will try that! Although I like to end up at the winery at the end of the drive.

Level Contributor
867 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving the Hana road backwards?

nynurse... I think it is a little much to do.

I would dedicated 1 day, to do the Road to Hana, including going all the way around the southside loop and out through Kula.

Another option, that is worth consideration, would be, get up super early.go see "sunrise" instead, then you will up early anyway and do Hana, but go through "Kula first" and out through Hana.

ps..keep in mind you can see the sunset from any west side beach.

ps2..your park entrance fee is valid for 7 days at all parks.

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kula
Kula
Maui, HI
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving the Hana road backwards?

Others have brought up the prospect of doing the drive backwards. Wouldn't a huge negative be that you will be going against the flow of most of the traffic, which wouldn't be a good thing on those oh-so-narrow roads and blind curves? Hula, did your friends say anything about that? Has anyone else out there done the Hana road in reverse? I don't know when I'll make it back to Maui again, but I'm curious....

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,760 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving the Hana road backwards?

Add to that TravelHappy...if you drive it in reverse you will be on the DROP OFF side of the road the whole time. Traffic can't move all that fast no matter which direction you take and most of the places to pull off will be on the other side of the road.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving the Hana road backwards?

Good points BB.

Maui
Level Contributor
399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving the Hana road backwards?

We've done the backwards route and the drive is ok. You do get to Hana earlier mostly because you don't stop much on the way (not a lot of things to do on the Kaupo Rd.). So you avoid some crowds early in the day, which is nice but of course they catch up soon.

The trip to Hana either way is a long day and we are always tired and burned out at the end. I wouldn't try to do sunrise at the summit before this trip because if I got up at 3 am, I'd probably need a good nap (or be really cranky) by 2 pm.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
seattle
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving the Hana road backwards?

Wouldn't your neck get tired.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving the Hana road backwards?

travel, our friends didn't mention a problem with it but that's a valid point. I believe they did sunset at the crater the same day.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving the Hana road backwards?

We did it reverse and loved. Had the road before the pools to ourselves and maybe saw 3 cars coming the other way. We stopped a couple times and had the place to ourselves. The views were great. I would recommend reverse in an instant.

We did the route in November 2001 but it may be a bit more popular now because I heard the rental companies aren't being as strict about not taking that route.

Go for it!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving the Hana road backwards?

I have no recommendation. I just wanted to thank you for the funny visual I had of you driving backwards.