We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kihei Wind??How bad?

Maple Valley, WA
Level Contributor
259 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kihei Wind??How bad?

I just booked a condo in North Kihei in early November. Now I am getting worried that the wind is miserably bad. I heard it starts at 11:00 and goes until early evening.... The time I would most likely be at the pool. Is it really that bad? Or do I have to plan to leave and go somewhere else, every day, during the whole middle of the day? I don't mind a little, occasional wind but not extreme force every day? Is the rest of the island like that?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kihei Wind??How bad?

trade winds are much worse in the summer than they are in the fall/winter. You will definitely have some wind although I think it is quite tolerable.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,991 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kihei Wind??How bad?

We stayed in N Kihei in Nov of '05. It was windy everyday, I'd estimate peak winds were less than 20 mph. With the air temp in the mid- 80's the winds felt great!

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kihei Wind??How bad?

Yeah, a lot of folks express concern about the winds in Hawaii - but let me make a personal observation here: The only real disadvantage the afternoon winds bring is that they make snorkling more difficult & less enjoyable (so do your snorkeling in the morning) - in other regards they are generally a blessing. The afternoon tradewinds are the real key to the wonderful climate that Hawaii and many other tropical destinations have. They are Mother Nature's natural air conditioning - almost non-existant in the morning when it's cooler, and picking up as the day heats up, then dying off again as the evening coolness sets in. Hawaii deservedly has a famously delightful climate that is almost always perfect at any time of the day or night yea-round. The Trades are a big part of the reason.

Ken

Maple Valley, WA
Level Contributor
259 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kihei Wind??How bad?

Is the wind worse in N. Kihei than it is in other parts of the island?

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kihei Wind??How bad?

Depends. Real definative answer, huh? But it's true. Like all of Hawaii, you can drive five miles down the beach and run into rain/wind/ la di da.

Okay, so I just stayed in North Kihei. Likely, you are not going to spend time at a N. Kihei beach. If you do a S. Kihei/Wailea area beach, get there early because by 1:00 or so, you will want to leave due to the winds. The winds blew HARD while we were there. I have pictures of palm trees bending pretty good. However, it never blew hard enough to keep me out of the pool, which is your question really. And, like a previous poster pointed out, the winds feel good. It's at the hottest time of the day and without them, the heat and humidity might be pretty miserable. While I would not want to be on a beach at that time because of sand blowing, pool time was good.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kihei Wind??How bad?

Yeah, that sand hurts, doesn't it? Yee-ow!

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kihei Wind??How bad?

I have stayed in Wailea 4 times in August and never remember bad winds. Did I just get lucky or are the winds in Wailea calmer than Kihei?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kihei Wind??How bad?

We just returned from Maui and stayed in the Kihei area. We spent most mornings snorkeling when the water was calm and most all of the afternoons at the beach. Most of the days you had to watch your umbrella so that it wouldn't collapse because of the wind and sometimes that sand blowing against you felt like a free dermal abrasion treatment. That being said, this is the second two week vacation we've spent there in two years and I just sent in my deposit for two weeks next year. The wind and cloud cover just feel good sometimes. That sun would be unbearable without nature's natural air conditioning. If you're at the pool, sand won't be an issue. Sometimes in the afternoon we retreated to the pool area and the wind was never a factor. Don't worry about it and have a great time.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kihei Wind??How bad?

we have stayed in Kaanapali, Wailea, South Kihei and North Kihei. There is wind everywhere. Period. We do the beach early and then if the wind is too much we head to the grass or pool. The wind can be a blessing in the heat.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kihei Wind??How bad?

we have had two trips to Wailea, and everyday about 11am the wind would kick up big time, had to be careful on the Hobie Cats we rented.

We never seemed to have much wind at Kanapali but the area north would get windy.