We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Maui vs. South Maui

Ohio
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
West Maui vs. South Maui

I posted yesterday as to where to stay in Maui...still confused. West Maui vs. South Maui- what town and place - hotel vs. condo. Please tell me some preferences in all and differences. I'm looking for the sunny part of the island for our honeymoon. Would like to stay somewhere nice but within a normal budget. And will we need a car for the entire time or just a day or two?

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: West Maui vs. South Maui

bjbaker23;

You have asked a question that has as many answers as there are travelers to Maui.

There simply is not a "best" part of the island.

We love the Napili area but we also know that it is not the "best" area for everyone since everyones idea of paradise is usually quite different.

S.F. Bay Area...
Level Contributor
202 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: West Maui vs. South Maui

I'm sorry if I missed it, but did you say what month you were planning your honeymoon for? That could make a difference as to the sunniest part of the island you are after. Some months it won't be much, if any, different in either area and some months there may be a big difference.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: West Maui vs. South Maui

I agree with Pappy. There is not a bad place to stay on the island, it's all good. The island is not very big, it's easy to drive from west to south.

Level Contributor
867 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: West Maui vs. South Maui

BB...speaking of rainbows ..memorable ones include

...one in the water in Maa'lea.. when we were rounding a corner ...great big big full arc...taking up the entire Bay

...one in Kapalua in a field up by Kapulua airport about 100 yards away from us again, full arc.

..a double complete rainbow in the water off Honokowaii

I think..I could be wrong...but West Maui does seem to get more Rainbows..especially a little further north.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: West Maui vs. South Maui

We say 2 completely horizontal rainbows over there this year.

Never seen that before.

Tyler, Tx
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: West Maui vs. South Maui

Avg. annual rainfall in Kihei is 12", in Kaanapali it's 18". So, technically, it sounds like the southside gets less rain. On the otherhand, with that small of a difference, I doubt you'll notice it, lol!