We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beaches

OKC, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Beaches

Any suggestions for fun beaches that are kind of out of the way but not too hard to get to?

I know there are all kinds of parameteres to consider but looking for all around good ones.

Thanks for the bumps Harlee on my last post Harlee, appreciate ya!

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beaches

Pick up a copy of Maui Revealed. It will give you all kinds of ideas.

Level Contributor
867 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beaches

Maui seems to have a beach for everyone. Eventually you'll find your "fun beach" aswell.

Our....... "fun beaches...... are.

1. DT Fleming Beach

Located in Kapalua near The Ritz hotel, Fleming Beach is in a park like setting with showers, shaded picnic tables, and has lifeguards on staff. It can have very good waves, even in the summer months. It can have an undertow, so have a look at the flags or ask a lifeguard. We have seen green sea turtles near the rocks and manta rays swim by. The area does have a little bit more cloud cover. There is snorkeling up the road at Honolua Bay.

2. Airport Beach

The northern part of Kanaapali Beach. Airport Beach is again in a park like setting with lots of shaded parking, showers, covered picnic tables with a large grassy area. The water can have large waves, but we have seen the water here flatline. Great visibilty. You can take the sidewalk, and walk up to Black Rock, a great view from the top. Careful swimming down this way the currents can get funny. No lifeguards

3. Kamaole 3

Located in south Kihei. It has a huge shaded grass area, great for an afternoon picnic, with a view of the ocean below. The beach is not overly wide and can get crowded. The mornings are best the winds tend to pick up in the afernnon.

4. Makena Beach or also known as "Big Beach"

This beach is truly Hawaii, primitive, no showers, no lifeguards. The beach is very wide and long. The waves can be very high and the shore break hard, so do be careful not to get caught in the wash. To the righ,t is a volcanic cone whcih you can partly climb, with perhaps one of the best photo you can take on the island. Awesome. If you continue to down the corridor, about 50 yards away is "Little Beach" clothing is very much optional.

Aloha

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
977 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beaches

Fav beach is Keawakapu Beach in south Kihei. Very nice!

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beaches

Localgirl, I agree 100% with you. Keawakapoo is a great beach.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beaches

We discovered a new favourite on our most recent trip -- we always liked Big Beach the best, but thanks to the Maui Revealed book we tried Po'olenalena Beach, aka Makena Surf beach. It was beautiful. I sure would like to own one of the gorgeous condos above the beach, but I think they're way out of my price range.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beaches

Swardyvr, we also spent part of a day on that beautiful beach! We hiked over to the part closest to White Rock (mentioned in Maui Revealed) because we wanted to snorkel, and we had that northern section to ourselves for a time. There are beautiful trees on the beach that provide shade, which we needed after just a short time in the hot sun. Later, a few different people started to show up--they seemed like locals. And they opted to spend their time there au natural, shall we say. I guess this beach is clothing optional?

S.F. Bay Area...
Level Contributor
202 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beaches

I also have to agree with localgirl, Keawakapu is our fav as well!

Level Contributor
867 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Beaches

Kama....why is it?? Thanx

S.F. Bay Area...
Level Contributor
202 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Beaches

Harlee, I think I enjoy Keawakapu so much is that when I'm in Maui, it's all about relaxing on the beach. It's not that we don't do other things as well, but it's mostly about the beach. It seems that most times I've been to Keawakapu, there haven't been many people around and it was almost as if we had the place to ourselves. The people we did run into were very nice. It's a very clean beach lined with beautiful homes and it's a great swimming beach. I haven't snorkelled there, but there are a couple of rocky areas that I may check out when we take the kids back in July. Like Marty asked, it's sorta out of the way (not much though) and it's not too hard to get to. Of course, that's just my humble opinion!