We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for restaurant recommendations near Lahaina/

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Looking for restaurant recommendations near Lahaina/

Hey TA.

I'm returning to Maui with my family August 1st-August 8th and staying at the Sheraton Maui Resort. Curious as to what restaurants are the best as we generally like to plan this stuff out before hand in case we need a reservation. We have a reservation for Mamas Fish House but are reconsidering as it is an hour drive (good idea?). We've been to Cheeseburger in Paradise a few times and the burgers were great along with the view and live music, hoping to get a similar feel to this anywhere around the Lahaina/Ka'anapali area. I'm just looking for a few recommendations for lunch and dinner mainly and a few breakfast spots would be welcome! (A few of the best sunset dinner spots?)

(No set budget, with family of 4, 2 teens. We like all types of food!)

Thanks!

Edited: 7:19 pm, July 28, 2019
10 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
78,091 posts
18 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Looking for restaurant recommendations near Lahaina/

Mama's is an hour and a half drive, in good traffic. If you just *have* to go there, do it on departure day for a late lunch.

Near the Sheraton:

Pailolo Grill, Auntie's Kitchen, Pulehu (KOR), Duke's (Honua Kai), Merriman's (instead of Mama's, in Kapalua), The Burger Shack (on the beach edge of the Ritz Kapalua), Japengo (Hyatt), Honu, Star Noodle, Down the Hatch, Pacific 'O, and Fleetwood's (all in Lahaina).

Edited: 7:29 pm, July 28, 2019
Seattle, Washington
6 posts
2. Re: Looking for restaurant recommendations near Lahaina/

Thanks for the response! Do you think reservations will be necessary for any of these places? We just made reservations for the Star Noodle and Kimos, but thats it.

Maui
Level Contributor
78,091 posts
18 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: Looking for restaurant recommendations near Lahaina/

For Merriman's--if you wat to do inside dinner, yes. Or just get to the Point bar (kids are fine) early and order a variety of smaller plates.

For most of the others---Honu, Pacific 'O, are yes on rezzies, even for lunch. Down the Hatch doesn't do reservations-it's kind of a hole in the wall down at the Wharf. Fleetwood's isn't too busy for lunch most of the time, but def get rez for dinner. Japengo and Pulehu are only open for dinner--and yes on a rez.

Kahului, Hawaii
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Looking for restaurant recommendations near Lahaina/

I also like Monkeypod at Whalers Village!

California
Level Contributor
52,356 posts
19 reviews
29 helpful votes
5. Re: Looking for restaurant recommendations near Lahaina/

There are a few restaurants at Whaler's Village - almost spitting distance from the Sheraton. My fave is Hula Grill ... but Leilani's is in the same family of restaurants and also excellent. Monkey Pod is also in that area.

http://kaanapaliresort.com This is the website for the Ka'anapali resort area. Scroll down for a rough map and a special "click" for dining.

Also love Honu in Lahaina mentioned above.

Maui
Level Contributor
78,091 posts
18 reviews
16 helpful votes
6. Re: Looking for restaurant recommendations near Lahaina/

Good one, Blergnerds! And don't forget Nikki's at the Food Court there at WV, plus Joey's Kitchen.

In the Honokowai area, there are some food trucks by the north end of Honua Kai, just off the Lower Road. Across from there is the Honokowai center, with Java Jazz, Pizza Paradiso, Subway, and Times grocery store. A little farther up the Lower Road are the Fish Market Maui, Ohana Tacos, and Honokowai Okazuya in a strip center. Go five minutes more and there's Maui Brewing Co. at Kahana Gateway.

Edited: 8:35 pm, July 28, 2019
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
68 reviews
33 helpful votes
7. Re: Looking for restaurant recommendations near Lahaina/

Lots of great recs! I’ll just weigh in and agrer Mama’s not worth a special trip from West. Ok if you’re on that side of the island anyway. Our faves are Merriman’s and Pacific’O for special meals, Hula Grill and Monkeypod for everyday lunches and dinners.

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
63,219 posts
447 reviews
777 helpful votes
8. Re: Looking for restaurant recommendations near Lahaina/

I don't think Mama's is worth a special drive. When we eat there is on the way to the airport as we are leaving or it is a day when we go Upcountry.

At Leilani's and Hula Grill I prefer the bar areas and at lunch time, so Beachside Grill and Barefoot Bar. They have great burgers and Hula Pie.

CJ's Deli & Diner is good for breakfast and inexpensive lunch/dinner.

Duke's is good for breakfast, so is Sea House at Napili Kai.

Level Contributor
41,483 posts
1,053 reviews
1,827 helpful votes
9. Re: Looking for restaurant recommendations near Lahaina/

I would keep your reservation at Mama’s. It is our favorite restaurant on the island. 🍍🌴🌸🏖

California
Level Contributor
8,708 posts
55 reviews
20 helpful votes
10. Re: Looking for restaurant recommendations near Lahaina/

You may already be too late for prime reservation times such as sunset. Opentable.com has many of the popular restaurants and even that is starting to fill up for even the end of August. I made a few reservations the other day and many times were already taken. Place's like popular Aloha Mixed Plate uses Yelp to make reservations.

Reply to: Looking for restaurant recommendations near Lahaina/
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted