We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough Ocean?

12 posts
Rough Ocean?

My husband and I leave for Maui (first time to Hawaii) in a couple days and I'm a little concerned about how rough the ocean has been. I spoke with Teralani yesterday because we have a snorkel trip booked next week and they said it has been horrible and they had to cancel all trips between Saturday and Tuesday and told me about a bunch of rescues that have happened, but they are hoping it will be better by next week. Snorkel Store daily reports have been at a 4-5 for a week. I have friends there right now at Kaanapali beach who said it is so bad they can't really go in the ocean at all without getting knocked over and have spent the whole week at the pool. I'm a little confused because I didn't think this was normal?

We are trying to figure out what people do all week if it's too rough to go in the ocean? We are staying in the area north of black rock and already have a day planned for Haleakala/upcountry and another day for possibly Road to Hana. Besides our snorkel excursion, we were wanting to be able to shore snorkel in the morning and lounge at the beach. We like to eat (who doesn't?) but don't drink and sitting at a crowded pool all day for multiple days doesn't sound real appealing. Also, we are going to be at the cheap end of the spectrum for how much people are willing to fork out for things on Maui, so don't suggest a bunch of $150+ pp activities please.

14 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
19,983 posts
57 reviews
42 helpful votes
1. Re: Rough Ocean?

The problem is that there has been a large south swell that has affected the south beaches up through the main part of Kaanapali. That one was dying down but another big south swell was moving in. On top of that there was a small north swell that was affecting the northwest beaches also..it isn't quite as bad, but enough to stir up the water for snorkeling.

It isn't common..but it isn't rare either. Sometimes the swells last a day..sometimes they last longer. South swells are more common in the summer and north in the winter. You will still find there are days of great water to play in, but there is always a chance you can't.

That is why many of us don't put the RTH and Haleakala on specific days... we plan those in when we can't go in the ocean. You can spend time upcountry exploring, go to Iao Valley. Up northewest go hike the Ohai Trail and see the Nakalele Blowhole. Go south and hike by the La Perouse Bay.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
12,174 posts
20 reviews
9 helpful votes
2. Re: Rough Ocean?

Drive up to mm 38.5 and hike down to the blow hole, just stay on dry rocks, not wet ones..

Walk the Kapalua Costal Trail

Maui Ocean Center to see life in the oceans of Maui it does cost but reasonable for what that have.

UpCountry and out to the winery..

Hit some Happy Hours that have live music.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Rough Ocean?

My ultimate maui activity = me + lounger + book + cocktail.

But there is nothing wrong with just getting in your rental car and exploring. Go anywhere, go everywhere. create your own cheap foodie tour where you go to a cheap place and share something then move to the next place and so on. Drive to La Perouse, go to the saturday market if you're there on a saturday.

I wouldn't worry about what to do if the water is rough and just go with the flow, and enjoy a vacation on a beautiful Hawaiian island...

Louisiana’s Cajun...
Level Contributor
758 posts
14 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Rough Ocean?

WE sit AT the beach much more than we SWIM in Maui.

I think you will still have a great time even if the ocean is rough.

Hiking

Iao Valley

RTH

Haleakala

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
19,983 posts
57 reviews
42 helpful votes
5. Re: Rough Ocean?

I also want to say..just because it has been like that...things can change and you can go in the ocean every day. We are big snorkelers/swimmers and many trips we are in the water every day. You just have to be flexible if it isn't good.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
55,912 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
6. Re: Rough Ocean?

The south swells will be more common than having a north/west swell this time of year. You may be able to go to Kapalua Bay which will be crowded. You are wise to keep your eye on the surf reports. Like said above, go explore the island on the days where getting into the water isn't in the cards!!

12 posts
7. Re: Rough Ocean?

Thanks for the advice! Can someone tell me a good place to check the surf reports?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
19,983 posts
57 reviews
42 helpful votes
8. Re: Rough Ocean?

The Snorkel Store puts out a report every day...it is easy to understand. You can sig up for the daily email here

https://thesnorkelstore.com/…

Or follow them on FB or Instagram and they put it out every morning.

I also like Surfline... but more complicated.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,502 posts
9. Re: Rough Ocean?

I think one of the best ways is to just look at the beach web cams and you can see real time conditions

There are a bunch of the online

Napili Sunset

Kaanapali Sheraton

Wailea Marriott

Charley Young Beach Kihei

Lots of times I see people talking on here about conditions based on reports and I look at the webcams and the conditions are the exact opposite

Not every beach experiences the same conditions and conditions change

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Rough Ocean?

Sheraton webcam right now...Kaanapali beach....ocean is smooth as glass!! :)

Reply to: Rough Ocean?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted