We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nightlife in maui -- please help!

boston
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
nightlife in maui -- please help!

where should my girlfriend & i stay if we are looking for easy access to lively nightlife (bars, live music, etc)?

we would like to be able to walk or take cheap cabs from bars to our hotel. we are in our mid-twenties & NOT looking for an overly relaxing, quiet trip.

should we be looking in lahaina? is that where the action is?

we will be in maui for three night...

thanks in advance!!!

~jb

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nightlife in maui -- please help!

Johnny, while there are some decent accommodations available in Lahaina, there are not really any good beaches within walking distance... If you won't be beach-bumming, Lahaina is great!

If you do want some beach-time, I'd keep my sights set on the NorthWest side of the island, so you'll be close to Lahaina, which is where all the action will be.

Look at: Kaanapali (also some nightlife here & probably your best bet, given your situation..), Honokowai and Kahana All of these are within a 15 minute drive to all the action in Lahaina, and have awesome beaches within walking distance!

Answers to the following would be helpful:

Do you want more mega-resort/hotel vibe or quiet, intimate condo-type vibe?

Will you be hitting beaches daily or just partying?

Apx what is nightly budget?

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nightlife in maui -- please help!

Johnny,(how can you live in Boston and use that name?) If you have a car staying right in Lahaina would be fine. You can drive to beaches by day and walk to bars and restaurants at nught.

boston
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: nightlife in maui -- please help!

"Do you want more mega-resort/hotel vibe or quiet, intimate condo-type vibe?"

~ it doesnt matter

Will you be hitting beaches daily or just partying?

~we are going to be staying at a beachfront hotel for 6 days on another island. we'll probably be exploring the island during the day so being near the beach isnt very important

Apx what is nightly budget?

~$270 or less

boston
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: nightlife in maui -- please help!

"Johnny,(how can you live in Boston and use that name?) "

ive been using "johnnydamon7" as my screen name for about 5 years. i really shouldn't use it anymore as i am a huge sox fan...

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nightlife in maui -- please help!

I would think that the Westin at Kaanapali would fit your needs. You can bus to Lahaina and cab back later. Whaler's Village is right next door as well as the Hyatt. I WOUld say that this is the most active area of Kaanapali. It is on a good area of the beach, has a hopping pool scene and is close to restaurants and bars.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: nightlife in maui -- please help!

Mauiboundsoon, I bet it has been a long time since you have seen your mid-twenties, if you think that Kaanapali has the kind of nightlife that Johnnydamon7 is looking for !!

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nightlife in maui -- please help!

I am NOT saying that it is hopping compared to other "night life" scenes, only that it is good for Maui (in combination with Lahaina).

Anyone who is looking for much action should probably be looking somewhere else...

boston
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: nightlife in maui -- please help!

thanks for the response, mauiboundsoon.

bud -- do u have any suggestions? thanks!

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nightlife in maui -- please help!

Waikiki beach on Oahu? Truly, if you want a happening place...

We love Maui and the relaxing environment and there is enough going on for us, but we are older and content not to bar hop. Maui does have lots of other things to do: snorkle, surf, swim,hike, zipline, horseback ride, helo flight, road to Hana. The natural beauty is what brings people here, the night life is secondary. There are a few places in Lahaina on Front street and a couple of places in Kaanapali and Kihei where you can find music and dancing. Finding a bar is easy.

Where are you staying the rest of your trip?

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nightlife in maui -- please help!

Hubby and I stayed in Lahaina. We found that it has the most amount of night life. Cheese burger in Paradise and BJ pizzeria have live music. Moose Mcgillycuddy's (DJ) and Longhi's (live entertainment, not every night) has dancing.

We stayed at the Plantation Inn, which is just 1 block from all these establishments. We loved the location because we can walk (crawl if needed) back to hotel after a few (who actually counts?) It is reasonably priced with parking and breakfast included, and a car rental package for additional $10 a day.