We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it worth joining Costco before going to Maui and BI?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
745 posts
564 reviews
Save Topic
is it worth joining Costco before going to Maui and BI?

Hi.

I have heard many times that people have saved a lot of money buying gas at Costco. Does that mean that Costco locations on Maui and the Big Island have their own gas stations, and one must fill up there to get the savings? Or does your Costco membership card get you a discount at any gas station?

What other things could we save on if we joined Costco before we leave for Maui and the Big Island in September? Souvenirs?

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it worth joining Costco before going to Maui and BI?

As of last November the Costco on Maui did not have gas but we like to go there for wine, water, soda etc. We also like to buy our bread and snacks there as it is a lot less expensive then regular grocery stores on Maui.

If you have a Costco where you live it might be beneficial to get a membership.

Aloha

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it worth joining Costco before going to Maui and BI?

Yes, Costco have their own gas stations and you have to go there for the discount on gas.

Many necessities/souvenirs you can get at Costco. They carry beach towels, beach chairs, snorkeling equipment, boggie board, kona coffee, chocolate covered macadamia nuts, Hawaiian books, etc.

If you are staying at a condo with the family and plan to eat in some time, then you probably save on cereal, milk, juice, and other food items that you can consume while you are on the Islands.

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it worth joining Costco before going to Maui and BI?

Hi there. getting a Costco membership will only benefit you if you are going to stay for 10 or more days or if you have more than 4 people in your party. Keep in mind that you will save money, but at Costco you buy in large quantaties. Don't get me wrong, I love Costco, but if you are only going for a week or if there are only a couple of you going you will save just as much signing up for the Safeway club card. Costco does not have gas (or at least they did not when I was there last).

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it worth joining Costco before going to Maui and BI?

Sorry, did not know that the Costco on Maui has no gas station. There is a Costco gas station at the one outside Kona. Quite close to the Kona Airport.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
745 posts
564 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it worth joining Costco before going to Maui and BI?

thank you. does anyone know how many Costco stores are there on Maui (we will be staying in the Ka'anapali area) and on the Big Island (we are splitting our time between Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel on the Kohala coast and a small b&b in Holualoa).

California
Level Contributor
907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it worth joining Costco before going to Maui and BI?

There is 1 Costco on Maui.

How long will you be on Maui? Will you be in a Condo with a kitchen?

Folks here brought up good points. Don't want to be pennie wise, pound foolish. Do you think you will go thru a large box of pancake mix, or eat 7 lbs of cut up chicken parts, double loaves of bread, 6 packs of tuna, 24 packs of yogart, 2 1/2 or 5 lb blocks of cheeze, etc. ?

Safeway and their Club Card may be just as good of an alternative. And more convienient (3 stores).

We are a family of 5 staying for 3 1/2 weeks, so Costco would make sense for our itenerary. I plan on Costco and the Safeway Club Card.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
745 posts
564 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is it worth joining Costco before going to Maui and BI?

There is Costco near where we live (Boston), but there is only two of us and we will spend 5 days on Maui and 5 days on the Big Island. On Maui, we are staying at the Westin - other than getting some snacks for hiking and the sunrise at Haleakala (we are driving up there on our own), I do not anticipate needing food. I think they have fridges at the Westin to keep fruit and water in.

On the Big Island, we have breakfast included every day, as well as a fridge. We are not sure how much cooking we want to do. We mostly wanted to join Costco to save on gas. It costs $45 to join, do you think we will use up enough gas in 5 days on the Big Island to justify this? We do plan to see the Big Island...

How much exactly do you save on gas by joining Costco?

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is it worth joining Costco before going to Maui and BI?

The other advantage to joining Costco before you go is they have a travel club and can save you on rental cars, etc. It's also a good palce to pick up some souveniers. However, if there's no chance you'll use it on the mainland, too, then I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is it worth joining Costco before going to Maui and BI?

When I was in HI back in Feb the gas was about 20 to 25 cents cheaper per gallon at Costco. So if you only plan to use Costco for gas on Big Island, you will have to use about 200 gallons of gas to break even, which if you get 20 miles to a gallon means you have to drive 4000 miles. Not very likely given your stay.

You could get soda and chips which you would likely be able to use up during your stay, but my guess is that the membership would not be worth it for you.

California
Level Contributor
907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is it worth joining Costco before going to Maui and BI?

Well, simple math may indicate you shouldn't jion. If you use 10 gallons of gat per day, and can save 20 cent per gallon, over 10 days, that would be a savings of $20... far less than the $45 membership.