We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack for Maui?

San Diego...
4 posts
Save Topic
What to pack for Maui?

We will be in Maui from May 28-June 2. I know this is a very general topic question, but I wanted to know what to pack. I prefer to pack light, so I want to know the necessities. I'm good with clothes, but wanted to know more about other accessories (ie, sandals, fanny packs, etc). I read in Maui Revealed that is best to have reef sandals? are these worth it? or would normal flip flops and sandals work?

bq
Albany, Georgia
Level Contributor
590 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack for Maui?

We just returned a couple weeks ago. I cannot stress packing light enough, especially if you are staying in a condo and have a washer and dryer. If you are active like we are and do the hiking, snorkeling and beach time, you are in your suit with a pair of shorts a lot of the time. Maui is more laid back than I even thought. I wore my reef flip flops out at nite, except to the Luau and a couple other times. I took, flip flops, one pair of sandals, my keens, and my cheap water shoes. I could have taken half of what I did take. I took my beach type bag with me to the Swap Meet to put all my purchases in. I also used this as a carry on and put some of my gifts, snacks and reading material in it.... I never used the small purse I took. I had my money or debit card in my pant pocket or in my hubby's wallet when we went out. We used an aquapak to put money, keys in while we were snorkeling.

Have fun!

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack for Maui?

As far as shoes go, I always pack my pair of Oakley thongs (slip resistant, can get wet and sandy) to wear to the beach. Do a search on "Croc Thongs" or "Croc Athens Thongs" and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about.

And I wear a pair of 2 inch black flip flops to wear everywhere but the beach.

And that's it as far as shoes go!

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack for Maui?

We bought some Keen sandals for the trip last year and loved them. They are so comfortable. I wear them all the time here in So. CA.

Here's a thread from last year that brought up the footwear...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k715801…

kahana, maui
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack for Maui?

all you need are a couple of boardshorts or swim suits, hats,slippers, shoes if you want to go hiking, a camera, credit card, a couple of aloha shirts and shorts or dresses to where when going to dinner or something, and forget long pants or jeans. rent reef shoes and snorkle gear at a dive shop for cheap. i live on maui and wear slippers, the rubber cheap ones, every where i go even out to a nice dinner. shoes is only needed if you plan to do some rigourous hiking on a muddy trail. no one will look at you strange if you wear slippers to dinner because everyone else is wearing them. all personal items can be purchased at walmart, longs, kmart which isall near the airport.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack for Maui?

I always over pack but what I use the most are:

bathing suits

sarongs

hats

cami tanks

shorts light skirts

flip flops

sandals and one good pair of walking shoes

light jacket

light pair of capri sweats or something similiar

Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack for Maui?

I thought I packed light when we went for 10 days. Boy we could have packed SO much lighter! Other than toiletries, take a couple pair shorts, tank top or tee shirts, flip flops and bathing suits! I wore my bathing suit under my clothes everywhere we went. Next time we will probably be able to fit all our clothes into one carry on.

Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack for Maui?

I thought I packed light when we went for 10 days. Boy we could have packed SO much lighter! Other than toiletries, take a couple pair shorts, tank top or tee shirts, flip flops and bathing suits! I wore my bathing suit under my clothes everywhere we went. Next time we will probably be able to fit all our clothes into one carry on.

NM
Level Contributor
932 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack for Maui?

Okay I have sung this song over and over ....but the only shoes you need are Keens! I can't believe some people pack 4 or 5 pair of shoes!! We are a family of five traveling and that makes for lots of stuff (for 14 days) even though we are packing light. I can't imagine hauling extra shoes for everyone! We will be wearing our keens on the plane and they will also go in the ocean, on the trails, in the waterfall pools and out to eat! And for all the people who say they are ugly....I get more compliments on these shoes everywhere I go not to mention they are absolutely the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever owned! :o) Aloha, Shelley

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to pack for Maui?

I'm a girlie girl. I like choices and am a serious clothes horse no matter where I go. The last poster is probably correct about the keens but it is nice to have a pair of flip flops for the sand.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to pack for Maui?

Just pack what you would normally pack to any other tropical destination.

The reef shoes/sandals/socks are definitely a good idea if you're planning to go snorkeling/swimming somewhere that has a lot of rocks and stuff. You can buy a decent (and pretty cheap) pair at places like Walmart or Target.