We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep sea fishing

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Deep sea fishing

We are going to Maui in late August, early September and want to try deep sea fishing. Anyone have any experience with the different companies out there?

Langley, BC
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Deep sea fishing

Hi pizzadog,

I asked the same sort of question awhile ago and the info I got was to ask for Captain Fuzzy on the Die Hard. He's supposedly the best on Maui and many of his clients will not fish if he's unavailable.

I was also directed to check out www.fishmaui.com for info and found it very helpful. I even contacted Captain Mike through that site and he has been great in helping me book a fishing charter for my brother when we head to Maui in September. He has tons of info to offer on his site and especially talking with him on the phone.

Hope this helps,

tanawas

PS - too bad you're leaving in early September or we could've split a share with Fuzzy - we don't arrive until the 18th.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deep sea fishing

I can't comment on other charters but I can recommend that you avoid Start Me Up charters. If I had seen their BBB file I would never have booked with them.

lwj
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
734 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deep sea fishing

I am going to be on Maui in July-August and plan to book the Die Hard. Fuzzy, the captain, is a local and a serious fisherman... leaves at 4AM and fishes HARD... he also has the reputation of catching the most fish.

I have been out with him twice in the past and our boat caught fish when other boats did not... at that time, he was with another company.

The cost is higher than the others, but others who have gone fishing with Fuzzy swear by him....

Last year we went out on the Desperado and had an 8 hour boat ride.... no fish at all.

When I go out fishing, I want to catch fish.... so this year I will look for Fuzzy.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deep sea fishing

Thanks all for your help. I too have gone to fishmaui and Captain Mike has been helpful. I will check out the Diehard too.

5. Re: Deep sea fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, August 31, 2009