We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning. Shore break on Maui

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Warning. Shore break on Maui

Hi

I am on Maui today and had a scare. I was at Makena Beach. A warning was posted regarding shore break. I saw others in the water figuring that it was ok. It was far from the truth. I was in waste deep water and past

shore break. Wave after wave kept pushing me towards the shore. I got tossed around like in a washing machine 3-4 times. Pulled under water. Luckly, two people were nearby saw me struggling and ran up and grabbed me out of the water. Coughed up water and sat on my towel in shock. Now. It just keeps replaying over and over again in my mind. Please listen and pay attention to the signs. As I was leaving, lifeguard got on his speaker and explained the risks. I could have broken my neck, back or broken bones. Thank God these two angels saved me.

29 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: Warning. Shore break on Maui

Wow! I'm glad you are ok.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
330 posts
35 reviews
14 helpful votes
2. Re: Warning. Shore break on Maui

Glad to hear you are ok, and want to thank you for posting.

I think when we tourists see others doing something, we tend to believe “it must be ok/safe”. It’s good to remember just because you may see others doing it, doesn’t mean that it’s safe. Signs are posted by those who ACTUALLY know for a reason!

United States
Level Contributor
16,697 posts
33 reviews
44 helpful votes
3. Re: Warning. Shore break on Maui

Glad you posted on the Maui forum. Here’s my reply from your other post.

Hello Jennifer, I’m so sorry you had that scare & so thankful that there were people there who could help you.

Makena Beach - aka Big Beach, is known for its dangerous shore break. But it’s a popular beach, people new to Maui and who don’t understand Hawaii ocean conditions are often drawn in when they should stay out. And yes, necks are broken. You know now that you were lucky. I had a scare there many years ago, too. I advise all but experts to stay out of the water there.

On the Maui forum we warn of this beach constantly. We also remind everyone to take the time to sit and watch the currents and a few sets of waves before deciding to go in the water anywhere.

Thank you, and I hope you’ll enjoy the rest of your stay.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
55,740 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Warning. Shore break on Maui

Makena Beach is one of the most dangerous beaches in Hawaii. I pretty much gave up on those who pay no attention to warning signs. Do people think they don't apply to them? Always ask yourself why they're there!!

Glad you weren't hurt, many people aren't so lucky.

United States
Level Contributor
16,697 posts
33 reviews
44 helpful votes
5. Re: Warning. Shore break on Maui

Thing is, these situations are new to people who haven’t spent much time in the water in Hawaii.

I’m pretty sure there are permanent signs at several beaches that say “Dangerous Shore Break”. People don’t always know what that means. Some of those beaches are sometimes calm and safe, but you do need to be able to judge the conditions carefully. Imo, Makena is not one to take a chance on.

I do think, Jennifer, you may be confused about “shore break”. If you were in waist deep water at Makena Beach and thrown around like a washing machine, you were in the shore break.

I like that we can help people learn on this forum. I’m glad that when I was new here forum members were helpful to me & I’m happy to try to help now. Not giving up on people.

Jennifer, I’m very glad you decided to try to help too. And yes, you are making a difference, don’t give up. And don’t give up on ocean fun either! Watch the waves and currents, maybe do some research. Perhaps even take a lesson, like one from Maui Ocean Project or a snorkeling lesson from Maui Snorkel Tours to learn from the pros.

Edited: 11:23 am, July 17, 2018
Maui
Level Contributor
76,747 posts
18 reviews
16 helpful votes
6. Re: Warning. Shore break on Maui

As I said on your other thread (which is a good caution too)--we call it Break Neck Beach for a reason. I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Thanks for posting your experience. People don't always think the signs are "current", at many beaches.

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Warning. Shore break on Maui

I lost my prescription sunglasses during this incident. Should I consider it a lost cause. Posted on craiglist. Any ideas what to do?

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Warning. Shore break on Maui

I lost my dad in Dec. He was looking out for me. I could have easily broken my neck. Thank god those two angels grabbed me when I said help. And thank god, I had enough sense to not go back in. I was surprised that parents would let their kids out there. So many kids out there

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
55,740 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Warning. Shore break on Maui

Were they locals or residents of Maui or could you tell? Some kids grow up going out there and are experts at knowing the conditions like the back of their hands. I've seen kids younger than 10 skim boarding, doing flips in conditions I wouldn't touch at all!!

If they were parents that were visiting they probably didn't pay any more attention to the signs than you did!!

Maui
Level Contributor
76,747 posts
18 reviews
16 helpful votes
10. Re: Warning. Shore break on Maui

I would call the glasses a lost cause, Jennifer :-(. You could check with the lifeguards, but I wouldn't spend a lot of energy or time on it.

Your best move was to yell for help, when you realized you were in trouble. Sometimes people are too proud or stubborn-and think they can beat the ocean. Good for you for recognizing you needed help *then* and yelling for it!

Also--though it sounds wrong, kids are often safer there than adults. It's cause they are smaller, more limber, and don't have as much body mass.

Edited: 1:47 pm, July 17, 2018
Reply to: Warning. Shore break on Maui
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted